Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1773&ito=1490

It is old-fashioned, relentlessly cheery and shockingly pink.

It is Sheilas' Wheels, the infuriatingly catchy television advert for women's motor insurance which has made millions and turned a trio of previously unknown session singers into cult heroes on the internet.

And now the stars of the commercial are about to become a real pop act – backed by the team that made Kylie Minogue famous.

Scroll down for more...

Driving force: The Sheilas with Pete Waterman

The Sheilas will release their first single, I'm So Happy, Happy You're Mine, next month.

It is produced by Stock, Aitken and Waterman, the legendary trio that launched Kylie as well as Rick Astley, Sonia and Sinitta into the charts in the Eighties and Nineties.

And, with the Sheilas already living-room favourites – and more than 100 spoofs, parodies and homages to the girls on YouTube – it looks like being a sure-fire hit.

To go with the single there is a 'Happy Happy' dance, a pop video, a fan club and the girls will be going out on the road for a series of live dates.

It's all a long way from the day two years ago when three jobbing session singers – Carly Romain, 27, Cathi Ogden, 37, and Emma Robbins, 39 – turned up for an advertisement casting in drizzly Covent Garden and ended up dressed in pink spangly dresses, driving a pink Cadillac and urging women drivers: 'For bonzer car insurance deals, girls turn on to Sheilas' Wheels.'

ReputationRep:
    :puke: Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Their advert is getting a tad bit annoying now... seems to be on every ad break! One thing is for sure, I'm not buying it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Their advert is getting a tad bit annoying now... seems to be on every ad break! One thing is for sure, I'm not buying it!
    getting? ... now?

it's always been painfully bad! :mad:

*takes cyanide pill to avoid pain of single* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Stock, Aitken and Waterman are talented- after all, they wrote the songs. Other than her looks, I have no idea why Kylie Minogue is lauded as much as she is, given that she wrote none of her major songs. (in fact has she written even any of her lesser known songs?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 994504)
    :puke: Oh dear.
    My thoughts exactly...

ReputationRep:
    An ad personality trying to break into music, eh? Sounds like she's trying to encroach on Howard's (of Halifax Extra fame) territory.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh random fact here for ya, the dark haired Sheila's Wheels girl is married to Tinky Winky from teletubbies!

As for the ad, it's really annoying, almost as annoying as the frosties kid. Plus they don't insure every girl, when I first passed my test and tried to get insured they refused as I had no 'no claims bonus'...so they talk rubbish :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o-e-s-j)
    getting? ... now?

it's always been painfully bad! :mad:

*takes cyanide pill to avoid pain of single* :rolleyes:
    I know, I was going to say that. Its been annoying since day 1.

You just know that all those "Sheilas" that applied to be on the ad were only on it because they can say they are on TV, not because they like the advert.

No one will buy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    No one will buy it
    You'd be surprised.

There are a lot of interesting folk out there.

She is quite attractive though.

ReputationRep:
    God help us all!:p:

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is that I know all the words to that song

And after a few drinks I have been known to sing my own special rendition..:shy2:

ReputationRep:
    I hate Sheila's Wheels. I hate the song.

But I really hate Pete Waterman. Despise, would be a better word.

ReputationRep:
    That's not even remotely funny...

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke?

ReputationRep:
    One word. AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The irritating thing is that it'll probably be hugely successful :rolleyes: Crazy frog all over again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnico)
    Stock, Aitken and Waterman are talented- after all, they wrote the songs. Other than her looks, I have no idea why Kylie Minogue is lauded as much as she is, given that she wrote none of her major songs. (in fact has she written even any of her lesser known songs?)
    Some people just aren't meant to write songs - it's better to leave people who are better at it to write your songs and be lauded as a good singer, rather than attempt to write your own songs just because you feel you 'should' and then be run down into the ground because they're rubbish regardless of how good a singer you are. If your natural talent isn't in songwriting then why push it?

ReputationRep:
    How did S,A,W and Kylie get involved :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.