Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got my first wage slip yesterday (This is my first job) and I noticed that I've been taxed. I only work 13 hours a week at £6.85 an hour so I was wondering if I should be getting taxed or not (My gross pay was £89.05 and £17.80 was taken off for "income tax" ). I'm really new to all this stuff so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    It's emergency tax, call HMRC and they'll sort it out

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you definitely shouldn't be getting taxed. You get £11000 tax free per year so call Hmrc and they'll get it sorted so any tax you paid will come back to you in your next wages 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    usually emergency tax rectifies itself in my experience and comes back in your next payslip, if not call HMRC (be prepared for a loooong wait) and get it sorted

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/...and-allowances
    See above link.
    You get a tax free allowance of £11000 so you can earn up to £11000 per year and pay zero tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.