The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Well, it does get a lot of negative comments about it but I've seen it and it looks quite impressive. The standard of teaching is the same as Durham and the Campus on it's own is very new. I wouldn't worry about it as it's still fairly good.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Thing is, your degree is certificated by Durham University and so it will have the same prestige as Durham. I'm sure that there will not be a huge difference in standard - as if this were the case, would Durham really advertise it as they do?
Reply 3
Who really cares, as long as you are happy with it. As Angus already pointed out, you will be getting a degree from Durham University, not "the Durham University tag along". Besides which, it's not like they accept 200 people for a course, keep the clever ones in the City Centre and dump the other 100 at Stockton. Stockton, from what I gather, is more or less purpose built for specific courses that aren't offered in the main campus.
The campus is really nice - I went their and visited Stephenson College, which looks amazing - all single, ensuite and self catered, and built in the last few years. The whole actual campus is definitely good. I think the main criticism it suffers from is that its about 35mins from Durham, and people say that Stockton isnt that nice. Ive only been into the town once, and it didnt seem that bad to me, just maybe not as nice as Durham (but what is? lol).

I guess the entry grades to most of the courses are also lower - but if you want to do the course, then that shouldnt really matter.

Put it this way - I liked it enough to accept an offer for a course there (I've just now been transferred to a different course in Durham City).
Reply 5
I've never been but most people seem to have a fine old time of it there. Even though your degree is awarded by the same uni, I think most davvy employers would recognise that if you've got three Bs and your course is Biomedical Science (or whatever), then you went to QC which isn't quite the same as Durham. That said, the fact that Durham City is really good shouldn't detract in any way from the fact that QC is also good so it's silly to compare really. Reputation isn't everything!
TKR
I've never been but most people seem to have a fine old time of it there. Even though your degree is awarded by the same uni, I think most davvy employers would recognise that if you've got three Bs and your course is Biomedical Science (or whatever), then you went to QC which isn't quite the same as Durham. That said, the fact that Durham City is really good shouldn't detract in any way from the fact that QC is also good so it's silly to compare really. Reputation isn't everything!

I doubt many employers will be THAT up with which university's are more prestigious than others, many will simple see 'Durham' on your CV, and immediately think you've been to the 3rd best uni in the country (Durhams traditional status) or that's what im hoping anyway!:biggrin:

as for Queens Campus, I wouldn't say its a 'tag on' to Durham, it just has a different atmosphere IMO, it offers courses that Durham simply hasn't got the room to teach, in a modern environment. I also feel our campus has a good community spirit, everyone gets to meet everyone.

There are downsides however, the distance is large on a day-to-day basis, not many go to Durham that regularly (even though the bus is free) due to the time it takes, and also Stockton having all the facilities we need.

also with it being a newer campus the societies and the JCRs/Colleges aren't as well developed, so there's a bit less of the choice when it comes to societies. I think there are less than 10 Queens Campus based societies.

Also DSU don't bother that much with us, and the Rocket (the only uni owned entertainment venue) has been sold this summer, though they are building us a new joint college bar in the Waterside building (opening January 2008)
There are more than 10 societies! Well, there are now anyway...the bike club, firespinning and poi club and ultimate frisbee are going to be new for freshers fair...and then theres always BiomedSoc..:biggrin: Yeah, its not a tag along, the majority of the people who are there work ruddy hard, and hey its not like Durham City is unaccessible, im currently sitting in a computer room in the science labs in Durham where im doing a 2 month paid research placement over the summer...and i come from Queen's. Excuse any mistakes in the above paragraph, i had two hours sleep last night!
Reply 8
Rooftopcowboy
I doubt many employers will be THAT up with which university's are more prestigious than others, many will simple see 'Durham' on your CV, and immediately think you've been to the 3rd best uni in the country (Durhams traditional status) or that's what im hoping anyway!:biggrin:

Well I suppose it depends on what employers you're thinking of. Without wanting to piss on your bonfire, I do think that most "top" graduate recruiters will know the difference.
Reply 9
Durham is still considered a top 5 University, so it shouldn't matter.
Reply 10
top ten... splitting hairs though
Reply 11
The Queen's campus is just as much a part of the University as the City campus. The Psychology, Anthropology, Health(Medicine), Biological and Economics/Finace departments are all part of the same departments at the other site. They share the same money, teaching and research. Almost 20% of the University population is at Queen's. All colleges have the same Union, the same Chancellors and management teams. They share the same matriculation and graduation ceremonies.

Latest