Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone answer my university questions?

The universities I want to apply for economics and a modern language are:

1. 1. Nottingham A*AA
    2. 2. St Andrew’s AAA
    3. 3. Warwick AAB
    4. 4. Leeds AAB
    5. 5. Haven’t chosen but presumably ABB or BBB?

Are these good choices? I am predicted A*AB. Do I still have a chance with Nottingham and St Andrew’s?

There are very few universities that offer the subject combinations I have chosen. All my choices offer this joint honour course. But these are the universities which I really like having researched course and environment. The other options I don’t like very much because of distances ie Cardiff (excluding St Andrew for other factors) and there aren’t very many other options.

Can I apply for pure economics courses as well? I have a 50 50 split in my personal statement between economics and languages, so I am really confused as to what to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    More universities offer that combination than you think; you just need to do careful research because the degree title may be something completely different. For example, UCL's European Social and Political Studies degree, despite the name, effectively lets you study just economics and a language. KCL and Royal Holloway do similar degrees. Similarly, a number of universities offer Flexible Combined Honours/Combined Honours degrees (Exeter, Liverpool, Durham, Newcastle et al) which let you construct your own joint honours degree.

I'm not going to comment on your chances because I have no idea, and frankly nobody else will either. Apply and see what happens - that's all you can do.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jellyxx)
    Hi, can anyone answer my university questions?

The universities I want to apply for economics and a modern language are:

1. 1. Nottingham A*AA
    2. 2. St Andrew’s AAA
    3. 3. Warwick AAB
    4. 4. Leeds AAB
    5. 5. Haven’t chosen but presumably ABB or BBB?

Are these good choices? I am predicted A*AB. Do I still have a chance with Nottingham and St Andrew’s?

There are very few universities that offer the subject combinations I have chosen. All my choices offer this joint honour course. But these are the universities which I really like having researched course and environment. The other options I don’t like very much because of distances ie Cardiff (excluding St Andrew for other factors) and there aren’t very many other options.

Can I apply for pure economics courses as well? I have a 50 50 split in my personal statement between economics and languages, so I am really confused as to what to do.
    You can use this UCAS calculator to see the likelihood of getting offers from your choices with your predicted grades:
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

(NB. Unfortunately it doesn't yet include all course variations so you might need to compare the single honours courses.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You can use this UCAS calculator to see the likelihood of getting offers from your choices with your predicted grades:
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

(NB. Unfortunately it doesn't yet include all course variations so you might need to compare the single honours courses.)
    Has anyone tried this? I just did and it wouldn't recognise one of my a levels and in general, even when I fiddled around, it kept on not giving me any results....But it does say it is a beta trial after all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same combination!
    I also applied to just straight spanish twice despite having an economics and spanish personal statement.
    I think it's probably fine to apply to notts and st andrews as they're only slightly above your predicted grades so as long as your personal statement is strong you might be in with a chance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    Has anyone tried this? I just did and it wouldn't recognise one of my a levels and in general, even when I fiddled around, it kept on not giving me any results....But it does say it is a beta trial after all.
    What a-levels?

It is a bit flakey, but does seem to work for many cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What a-levels?

It is a bit flakey, but does seem to work for many cases.
    Economics didn't turn up for me
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    Economics didn't turn up for me
    For A-level Economics use "Subjects in Social Science"

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't tell you much about economics, but I've been looking at modern languages courses. I was really impressed with both Warwick and Nottingham when I went and I've been recommended Saint Andrew's by enough people to make me risk applying blind. Nottingham and Warwick both have great language courses - a good mix of language, politics, history and culture. Nottingham was particularly friendly and has a lovely campus, and I was particularly impressed by the lecturers who spoke at Warwick - it wasn't your usual empty, buzzword filled talk, they really got into the course details and you could see their expertise. Warwick also organises a meet up half way through the year abroad where they check your progress and invite potential employers (or they do for German anyway), which I thought was good given that a lot of unis just tell you to sod off for a year. The students at both universities were very complementary about the course. Plus Warwick will often give you an offer automatically if you have the grades.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.