Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been offered a job at my local Sainsbury's and once a week I finish at 11pm, it would take me about 20 minutes to cycle back home. I'd probably be asleep around midnight and get up at 6.30. I am in Year 13(17 years old).
    Would you say this is to late to do once a week or not ?
    Thank you,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I want to save extra money for university next year, but if its going to have an effect on my performance at sixth form, is it worth it ?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely wouldn't recommend it apart from maybe a friday as you dont have sixth form saturday.
    I don't work but doing activities right up until 11 is exhausting and you will almost certainly be tired the next morning unless you get up at like 11AM.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't. I know it's only once a week, but six-and-a-half hours sleep (or probably less once you've faffed about getting ready for bed) is nowhere near enough for someone studying for probably the most important exams they'll take. Is it really worth being tired and groggy for the next day too (which would mean two days spoilt, not just the one) for just one extra shift?

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you all, I understand grades are far more important.
    Just wanted some extra cash for uni seeing as my loan does not even cover the accommodation(high household income, small loan, parents wont support, no savings).
    Thank you everyone, I'll just keep waiting until a different job shift pattern comes up.

Don't you have to be 18 at least to work in Sainsbury's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slushy)
    Don't you have to be 18 at least to work in Sainsbury's?
    "All applicants must be of compulsory school leaving age to be considered for a vacancy at Sainsbury’s. Please note that compulsory school leaving age can vary across the UK." http://sainsburys.jobs/develop/what-we-are-looking-for
    Sixth Form - Left 'school'
    They have offered me a job, i've been to a interview so I'm assuming its all good
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    I do agree with you all, I understand grades are far more important.
    Just wanted some extra cash for uni seeing as my loan does not even cover the accommodation(high household income, small loan, parents wont support, no savings).
    Thank you everyone, I'll just keep waiting until a different job shift pattern comes up.
    I personally wouldn't risk it at A-Level. Lots of people do part time jobs on the side at Uni instead, where you will at least have maximised your chances of getting into the uni you want first.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    You've just asked us for advice. We've all said the same thing, and yet you've done the opposite? What was the point in asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said I will wait for a different shift pattern (that does not finish so late), so I took on board what everyone said.
    I don't understand what your problem is exactly ?
    Thanks again for the advice
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I had Thursday/Friday/Saturday myself, I thought I was fine with it but I didn't realise how tiring it was until I quit... you HAVE to prioritise your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I had Thursday/Friday/Saturday myself, I thought I was fine with it but I didn't realise how tiring it was until I quit... you HAVE to prioritise your A-Levels.
    What subjects were you doing for AS and A2?

ReputationRep:
    What are the working hours?

I regularly finish work at 10:30 and do not get back until 11pm or so, after full eight-hour shifts. In all honesty, you are probably more likely to sleep well after a day of work than opposed to a day of rest; if you're in bed at 11:30 that's seven hours sleep. Although not ideal, it isn't the end of the world. You could also try and speak to your manager/supervisor after hiring about cutting down your finish time to about 10pm.

ReputationRep:
    meh its not all doom and gloom once a week you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What subjects were you doing for AS and A2?
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and dropped Geography after AS :cute:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.