Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Specifically are all lectures available on video, post lecture? I know some use Echo360 and store the whole year to aid revision.

Secondly, I'm on a tight budget and I've heard it said at some Vet universities that you can get through the course using library extensively with maybe buying 1 -2 books. What do you think is a realistic budget?

Finally, what other multi-media resources do you find you use a lot with your Uni?

I'm especially interested in Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC & Surrey, but I'm sure all feedback would be useful.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vet2017)
    Specifically are all lectures available on video, post lecture? I know some use Echo360 and store the whole year to aid revision.

Secondly, I'm on a tight budget and I've heard it said at some Vet universities that you can get through the course using library extensively with maybe buying 1 -2 books. What do you think is a realistic budget?

Finally, what other multi-media resources do you find you use a lot with your Uni?

I'm especially interested in Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC & Surrey, but I'm sure all feedback would be useful.

Thanks.
    Liverpool most lecturers record the lectures - they've got much better this year and pretty much every lecture is recorded so you can watch them back and they are uploaded on to vital (blackboard).

Books are available from the library, I've brought a few but only the ones I really needed which people had already taken out of the library. There isn't really any need to buy any as worst comes to worst there are copies which aren't allowed to leave the library. Most of the stuff you need to know is included in the lecture notes, I only use books if I really don't understand something or if I'm interested in a particular topic.

I've used YouTube a lot funnily enough, to understand some concepts, and google is handy at times haha! Otherwise I don't use a lot else, it depends on how you learn. There's a brilliant online anatomy thing by Colombia university which I used in first and second year for revision

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    Liverpool most lecturers record the lectures - they've got much better this year and pretty much every lecture is recorded so you can watch them back and they are uploaded on to vital (blackboard).

Books are available from the library, I've brought a few but only the ones I really needed which people had already taken out of the library. There isn't really any need to buy any as worst comes to worst there are copies which aren't allowed to leave the library. Most of the stuff you need to know is included in the lecture notes, I only use books if I really don't understand something or if I'm interested in a particular topic.

I've used YouTube a lot funnily enough, to understand some concepts, and google is handy at times haha! Otherwise I don't use a lot else, it depends on how you learn. There's a brilliant online anatomy thing by Colombia university which I used in first and second year for revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great to know and very reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    My previous university had facilities to record every lecture and in theory they should have done but in reality they were rarely recorded. A friend studying in the UK has said similar.
    Here we are sometimes given powerpoint presentations but lectures are never recorded. All content is available in the subject specific books written by the lecturer so it's not really needed.

Textbooks are all available in the library and we have a print shop that copies books very inexpensively, usually less than €10; PDF versions are available of most online too. I've bought three 'real' books so far - Radiology, Surgery and Parasitology.

I also use YouTube a lot as I think I'm quite a visual learner, particularly for Physiology stuff. Wendy Riggs is a lecturer in the US and amazing at explaining Histology, I still refer back to some of her videos and remember concepts she's explained word for word.

Our class recorded our Anatomy practicals every week and put them on YouTube to help with revision for the final which was really useful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.