Turn on thread page Beta

I flopped my AS after amazing GCSE results, now I'm depressed watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I got AACE, predicted A*AC, but I did so much better in my GCSEs when I got 12 A*s, 1 B and 1C. I was hoping to go to Cambridge to study economics but now that dream has been crushed. It's completely my fault. My maths and further maths UMS was awful- I got 95 in C1 and C2, but I got 68 in S1, 75 in M1, 50 in M2, 80 in FP1, so LSE, UCL and Cambridge won't consider me. Plus they'll see the E in AS politics, so now I'm looking at applying to Surrey, Lancaster, queen Mary's, and a bunch of unis I never thought I'd consider.

I'm so depressed now and every day I get reminded of how far I dropped. Everyone was so impressed when I got my gcses and they all asked me what I'm predicted, even my relatives, and I have to tell them that I did badly. I feel like the effort I put into my GCSEs has been wasted now.

Another problem is that I wanted to go into banking. For that, I need to go to a top university like oxbridge or LSE. Now my career ambitions have vanished. I initially thought I'd get predicted an A in further maths but it's a B, which means I can't apply to the top unis.

I know that for some people my results would be good but I feel like I'm a disappointment to myself and to my family. I go to a selective school where loads of people end up at oxbridge and the top unis. Plus, my family and my cousins and other relatives are all very successful- they've become doctors, accountants, lawyers and some of them are studying at top unviersities. I'm Asian so family prestige is quite important to my parents- I'm their only son so if I fail in life they will be sad.

I feel like there's no point int dying anymore.I had an opportunity and I lost it. Even if I do well in A2 there's no point because I'd have to go to average unis anyway. I wake up and I have this awful feeling and I realise that I'm not as good as I thought I was. And talking to my friends doesn't help because they're all really clever and successful.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ilikecats12)
    Basically I got AABE, predicted A*AB, but I did so much better in my GCSEs when I got 12 A*s, 1 B and 1C. I was hoping to go to Cambridge to study economics but now that dream has been crushed. It's completely my fault. My maths and further maths UMS was awful- I got 95 in C1 and C2, but I got 68 in S1, 75 in M1, 70 in M2, 80 in FP1, so LSE, UCL and Cambridge won't consider me. Plus they'll see the E in AS politics, so now I'm looking at applying to Surrey, Lancaster, queen Mary's, and a bunch of unis I never thought I'd consider.

I'm so depressed now and every day I get reminded of how far I dropped. Everyone was so impressed when I got my gcses and they all asked me what I'm predicted, even my relatives, and I have to tell them that I did badly. I feel like the effort I put into my GCSEs has been wasted now.

Another problem is that I wanted to go into banking. For that, I need to go to a top university like oxbridge or LSE. Now my career ambitions have vanished. I initially thought I'd get predicted an A in further maths but it's a B, which means I can't apply to the top unis.

I know that for some people my results would be good but I feel like I'm a disappointment to myself and to my family. I go to a selective school where loads of people end up at oxbridge and the top unis. Plus, my family and my cousins and other relatives are all very successful- they've become doctors, accountants, lawyers and some of them are studying at top unviersities. I'm Asian so family prestige is quite important to my parents- I'm their only son so if I fail in life they will be sad.

I feel like there's no point int dying anymore.I had an opportunity and I lost it. Even if I do well in A2 there's no point because I'd have to go to average unis anyway. I wake up and I have this awful feeling and I realise that I'm not as good as I thought I was. And talking to my friends doesn't help because they're all really clever and successful.
    Take a gap year and get those grades but remember they aren't everything so don't base your self worth entirely off them.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you flopped. You could always work hard this year, get an A*AA or better then apply for better unis after taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    a bit stuck up complaining about 'average unis'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Take a gap year and get those grades but remember they aren't everything so don't base your self worth entirely off them.
    The problem is that even if I don't base my self worth off them, my relatives and my family will. My cousins and relatives are all super successful and they are doctors, surgeons, accountants, lawyers, the list goes on. They went to top unis like Oxbridge. If I take a gap year it might be even worse- since we're a closely knit community, I have to go to loads of events like my cousins'/uncles'/aunts' birthday parties or social occasions where I'll be seen as an embarrassment. Different people will ask me what I'm doing and I have to explain to them I'm reapplying. That really brings shame on the family and I'll be talked about and be ridiculed, especially since I did so well in GCSEs before.

Either way, word will spread that I've failed.

ReputationRep:
    Just work hard this year and you'll be fine. The step up from GCSE to A level is insane and so what's happened with you is perfectly normal (Meant in a good way) And besides, your grades aren't all that bad. Yeah sure, maybe Cambridge might not accept you (Let's be realistic here) but at least the other top unis will consider your application. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel. I'm in year 13 as well and I did really well in my GCSEs but did badly in AS. I as long thought I'd be going to oxbridge but that's not happening now. I'm Asian as well and my family is really close knit and everyone thought I'd go to oxbridge. Eventually they will get over it, don't worry. You need to get back up and make the most of the opportunities you have. Maybe you could do a Masters degree at Oxbridge.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The problem is that even if I don't base my self worth off them, my relatives and my family will. My cousins and relatives are all super successful and they are doctors, surgeons, accountants, lawyers, the list goes on. They went to top unis like Oxbridge. If I take a gap year it might be even worse- since we're a closely knit community, I have to go to loads of events like my cousins'/uncles'/aunts' birthday parties or social occasions where I'll be seen as an embarrassment. Different people will ask me what I'm doing and I have to explain to them I'm reapplying. That really brings shame on the family and I'll be talked about and be ridiculed, especially since I did so well in GCSEs before.

Either way, word will spread that I've failed.
    My cousin did her A levels at the same time as me and ended up at oxford then I barely scrapped es in two of my subjects but do you know what I didn't give up when I wanted to so many times in year 13 (my grandad was given months to live at one point and had a heart atttack one night and left me distraught in exams) and I was proud of that.
    If your family mistreats you because of this,I understand this could be a cultural thing but thats no excuse for them to treat you like that and you have the choice to walk away from them if they do.No one has the right to make you feel awful about yourself when you re doing your best. If you wouldn't have a friend treat you that then don't take it from them.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get that C prediction changed to a B then you can apply to a lot of UCL courses, just gotta find more niche things like stats.

It depends what you want to do really, you could always destroy y13 and take a gap year after then reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I got AACE, predicted A*AC, but I did so much better in my GCSEs when I got 12 A*s, 1 B and 1C. I was hoping to go to Cambridge to study economics but now that dream has been crushed. It's completely my fault. My maths and further maths UMS was awful- I got 95 in C1 and C2, but I got 68 in S1, 75 in M1, 50 in M2, 80 in FP1, so LSE, UCL and Cambridge won't consider me. Plus they'll see the E in AS politics, so now I'm looking at applying to Surrey, Lancaster, queen Mary's, and a bunch of unis I never thought I'd consider.

I don't want to pry, but is there any particular reason why you didn't achieve the grades you were predicted? Oxbridge do sometimes take into account personal circumstances if they're severe enough.

ReputationRep:

This is coming from someone who also did well in GCSEs (A*-B) and A* in IGCSE, but performed worse in A-level (BBCCD) with predicted grades (BBB), and I’ve held pretty much the exact same feelings. I’m the child in my family everyone was supporting and wanting to become a doctor and I kind of felt crushed when I got my results because I felt like I had disappointed everyone and that I had an obligation to become a doctor. To this day, I still feel like I’ve been somewhat of a disappointment – I informed my mother that I would do well, but I didn’t hold up on my promise and that really pierces my heart and mind and I’m so lucky I’ve chosen courses where I can still get high grades in since most are reformed. I felt like if I didn’t become a doctor, everyone would be disappointed in me. I even failed to go to a care home experience that someone arranged for me (that’s difficult because I’m under 18) and I disappointed her. I disappointed my uncle who I don’t like very much, mainly because of his unsympathetic nature, but who is very wise and informed on educational affairs and such – he’s done his research.

Take responsibility and stop thinking about other people such as what ur parents think of u. My mum was so proud when I was arranging these opportunities by myself, despite the initial heavy disappointment at AS-level. Don’t think about how ‘smart’ ur friends seem to be, because apparently they can’t even support you despite how ‘clever’ and ‘successful’ they are. I know someone who’s pretty clever, yet he’s kind of an obnoxious d*ckhead and I wouldn’t want to be associated with him. There are some kind clever peeps and some arrogant sh*ts so be careful who you call your ‘friends’.

Do some research. You don’t need to get into a ‘top’ university to do banking – without wanting to sound rude, which misinformed person told you that? Here’s the truth - http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk...n-banking-now/

Besides, some of the universities you listed such as Surrey and Lancaster are high in the league tables, and therefore are ‘top’ universities in my book. Again, do some research. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Your predicted grades do not mean you can’t go to a top university. You should think very carefully about applying to them though – read this: http://university.which.co.uk/advice...i-am-predicted

Also research Adjustment (when you get better grades than you’re predicted ones). https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected

A general rule of thumb is that you should choose 1 or 2 aspirational courses (that means stretching your predicted grades e.g. from A*AC to A*AA) and two standard ones (e.g. A*AB-AAB) and 1 or 2 safe ones (ABB-BBB) or some variation of that sort. This means I would still apply to LSE. In fact, I know I’m going to get A*A*A* this year – I just know, and if you feel the same way and really know what needs to be done to get those grades, then there’s nothing holding you back, and you really should apply to LSE.

Furthermore, there really will be nothing holding you back if you have a strong personal statement.

So these things are what you should be focusing on:
    1) Personal Statement and CV.
    2) Research everything. Let me repeat. Research everything. Plan. Preparation. Research. Alternative routes to the same profession just in case.
    3) Fully researching each course exactly – examine every module, every career and graduate prospects, how you’ll be assessed (e.g. are you good with coursework or better at exams), etc. etc.
    4) Studying and getting those top grades, for example, for adjustment. You really need to nail that studying. I’m impressed you got A grades at AS. I didn’t get a single A grade and that is hugely demotivating.

By the way, if you do get an offer from LSE, it’ll probably be conditional and maybe an interview idk how they do things though.

Lastly… Your family will become supportive of you – don’t worry about it. Also, prioritise your real principles. My important values are: Family; financial, physical, mental, spiritual happiness; and Contributing back to society. If for example family is important to you, then do you actually spend more time watching TV (not that you’d have that much time anyway btw, unfortunately)?

A quote from myself “The real businessman is the man who gets down to business”.

Get down to business, alright?

Just quoting some neat stuff here (I don't know how to multi quote):
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    If you can get that C prediction changed to a B then you can apply to a lot of UCL courses, just gotta find more niche things like stats.

It depends what you want to do really, you could always destroy y13 and take a gap year after then reapply.
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    No one has the right to make you feel awful about yourself when you're doing your best.
    (Original post by Barbastelle)
    I don't want to pry, but is there any particular reason why you didn't achieve the grades you were predicted? Oxbridge do sometimes take into account personal circumstances if they're severe enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barbastelle)
    No I meant that I got AACE in my AS and I'm currently predicted A*AC in my ALevels. I will be sitting my A Level exams this year.

ReputationRep:
    No I meant that I got AACE in my AS and I'm currently predicted A*AC in my ALevels. I will be sitting my A Level exams this year.
    If you are set on IB then you could always go to CASS, you'll get in with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    So it was just because of complacency or because you found A levels much harder than you expected them to be (you still got two As though, which is positive!)?

ReputationRep:
    Use your AS as motivation and smash the exams this year. Then reapply to Oxbridge ect with your achieved grades. Whilst it's easier said than done i don't understand why your being so negative when you've still got a chance.

Also as other people have said it's really not healthy to place such an importance on grades/uni. It's good to have ambition and work hard, but you wont ever be happy if you don't have other things in your life to focus on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    When you've been holding on to a hope that is suddenly crushed, it is gutting, doesn't matter how high you aim. I went to a *****y 'polytechnic' and was quite happy, 'cos i aimed low to begin with XD

ReputationRep:

1- you sound really stuck up
    2- don't say your depressed, you have no idea what depression is like. it is not feeling bad about getting bad grades it is much more than that.
    3- instead of moaning on here why don't you go and do something about the grades if you really want them to improve

ReputationRep:
    Work hard, achieve higher grades than you are predicted, take a gap year.
    Your life is definitely not over, worst comes to worst you'll have to go to an average uni and choose a new career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angell99)
    1- you sound really stuck up
    2- don't say your depressed, you have no idea what depression is like. it is not feeling bad about getting bad grades it is much more than that.
    3- instead of moaning on here why don't you go and do something about the grades if you really want them to improve
    Thats the way hahah. OP talks as if he's a special, 1 in a million type of person but in reality there's loads of other stuck up kids much better/smarter than him. Harsh truth
    I really don't understand how I'm being stuck up. I'm seriously depressed about my grades- it is absolutely my own fault which makes it worse because I can only blame myself. I can't help thinking all the time that I have failed and what could have been.

ReputationRep:
    It's all relative. Why should he be happy with something just because someone else is?

Anyway, yes, OP it might feel pointless working your arse off this year, but you need to realise it isn't all gone. Get yer 3A* and try again. 3A* will hardly guarantee you a Cambridge place next year, but there's a chance, and everywhere else would be opening their doors to you. There's also UCAS adjustment. Imperial/Oxbridge don't enter it, but you might get into UCL that way. Read about it.

Depression probably isn't the correct word in the medical sense here, but that's no reason for all the nuts in the thread demeaning you. It feels crap. Take time for yourself when you need it, chill, sleep, read, do whatever keeps you sane, but get a game plan together and own this ****.

Can I recommend a book to you? It's a bit of an odd book, it's written by a heavy metal guy. The point is, it's all about developing resilience. Ya know, when the **** rains, hike up your balls and wade through it. Take the **** in this book to heart and you can do anything - it will work on your mindset. Might be of interest, and it's cheap on Amazon. "Bringing Metal to the Children" by Zakk Wylde.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.