Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    As I am applying later this month for an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences in the University of Surrey, I have started looking for information on how affordable the city is. I see that student accommodation is around 100 pounds per week, but how affordable is the city for students in facts? I really don't know what it is like because I am a student from Bulgaria and I would appreciate it if you could give me an estimate number of how much pocket money I need per week/ month (excluding accomodation). I have read on the Uni's website that around 800 pounds is the minimum but I want to know for sure from someone who is living there or at least has an idea of what it's like.
    Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bluerain716)
    Hello!
    As I am applying later this month for an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences in the University of Surrey, I have started looking for information on how affordable the city is. I see that student accommodation is around 100 pounds per week, but how affordable is the city for students in facts? I really don't know what it is like because I am a student from Bulgaria and I would appreciate it if you could give me an estimate number of how much pocket money I need per week/ month (excluding accomodation). I have read on the Uni's website that around 800 pounds is the minimum but I want to know for sure from someone who is living there or at least has an idea of what it's like.
    Thanks in advance!
    The Uni has a rough guideline here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstude...dbudgeting.htm

ReputationRep:
    Everything's so expensive here :argh:

Because Guildford is kind of close to London it is one of the most expensive places in the UK... accommodation for year 1 is fine but finding a place to live for the 2nd year is hard because everywhere in Guildford is expensive.

I wouldn't base your decision on coming here on finance though, it is a fantastic uni and well worth it. There's lots of job opportunities on campus and in the city so just find a way to support yourself and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, Izzy!
    I really hope I will be able to find work, do you think it is possible to work in my fist year?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bluerain716)
    Thanks for the reply, Izzy!
    I really hope I will be able to find work, do you think it is possible to work in my fist year?
    There's a tesco nearby where lots of students work part-time. The workload for year one isn't too bad so working is definitely viable.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.