Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Hello Fellow Students

After contemplating whether or not I should commit to this year's Grow your Grades, I have finally decided to take part. I wasn't sure If I would be able to keep up with this, especially when I am supposed to be revising. However, I am sure that I will be able to make time during the week - maybe during one of my breaks.
    Without me ranting on any further, I shall introduce myself:
    I started my GCSE courses a little earlier, in Year 9. This meant that two of my exams were in Year 10. This means that I already have two GCSEs and so need a minimum of three more in order to get into college (although I am hoping to pass them all!)
    I have listed all my GCSE courses, exam boards, target grades, and personal targets below:
    Edexcel Mathematics 9-1 - Target Grade: 6 (B) Personal Target: 6 (B)
    AQA English Language & Literature 9-1 - Target Grade: 7 (A) Personal Target: 7 (A)
    OCR 21st Century Science (Core) - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A/A*
    OCR 21st Century Science (Additional) - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A/A*
    Edexcel Geography B - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A
    AQA Citizenship Studies - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A/A*
    AQA Modern Foreign Languages - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A/A*
    Edexcel ICT Living in a Digital World - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A
    AQA Art & Design - Target Grade: B Personal Target: B Achieved: C
    Edexcel Religious Education - Target Grade: B Personal Target: A* Achieved: A
    Some of my personal targets are higher than my target, however I discussed them with my teachers and they feel like my personal targets are reasonable.

So, this is obviously my little corner of this competition and I will try my best to make it as interesting and different from the other entries. I will do a weekly update to let you know what I have done each week in terms of revision and school. I will also let you know the difference techniques, etc I have used. I will also be posting random updates throughout the week. I would like to use this blog to also help others who are in the same situation as me (last year GCSE students).

I have many ideas on the different content I will be posting, it's just a matter of finding time to get it up!

I do follow some other Grow you Grades blogs and enjoy reading them. If you have a blog, please link it down so can have a look

Good luck with your revision and blogs,
    Emmy

ReputationRep:
    Good luck on your journey .
    GCSEs are easy, you have to get all As/A*s now to prepare you for A-levels, I mean in terms of revision .
    You have to work hard for now and work hard at A-levels to perform well and therefore you just have to get a 8/9 in Maths, because I'm here to help you do that . Just try your best to be honest, if you work hard things will go your way hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Good luck on your journey .
    GCSEs are easy, you have to get all As/A*s now to prepare you for A-levels, I mean in terms of revision .
    You have to work hard for now and work hard at A-levels to perform well and therefore you just have to get a 8/9 in Maths, because I'm here to help you do that . Just try your best to be honest, if you work hard things will go your way hopefully.
    Thank you so much for the motivation. One thing I really love about TSR is that everyone is always so positive and encouraging.
    The new GCSE Maths papers are really, really difficult but I am going to try my hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy_Girl)
    Thank you so much for the motivation. One thing I really love about TSR is that everyone is always so positive and encouraging.
    The new GCSE Maths papers are really, really difficult but I am going to try my hardest.
    Don't worry lol, they're meant to be harder. A-levels are going to be even more harder, if you can't do GCSE then lol...
    So, you've got to get 8/9 no matter what, and you will - easily. Just work hard!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry lol, they're meant to be harder. A-levels are going to be even more harder, if you can't do GCSE then lol...
    So, you've got to get 8/9 no matter what, and you will - easily. Just work hard!
    I am not considering doing A-level Maths at all, however I still want to do well and work for a high grade. I have promised myself that I will give my all to Maths which is my weakest point.

ReputationRep:
    You're making a-levels sound much harder than they are. Many people don't do well at GCSE's yet perform exceptionally well at A-level, it depends on the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    You're making a-levels sound much harder than they are. Many people don't do well at GCSE's yet perform exceptionally well at A-level, it depends on the individual.
    I think that varies from individual to individual. No one outperforms A-levels without hard work anyway, my point is just to work hard and without that not many, if any people will do exceptionally well at A-levels.

A-levels may be easier for Maths maybe because there is less content but it's harder - it's all about hard work and the person themself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy_Girl)
    I am not considering doing A-level Maths at all, however I still want to do well and work for a high grade. I have promised myself that I will give my all to Maths which is my weakest point.
    Don't worry, just do what you can. Who knows, you might end up choosing Maths A-level?

ReputationRep:
    I think that varies from individual to individual. No one outperforms A-levels without hard work anyway, my point is just to work hard and without that not many, if any people will do exceptionally well at A-levels.

A-levels may be easier for Maths maybe because there is less content but it's harder - it's all about hard work and the person themself.
    True, but saying "GCSEs are easy, you have to get all As/A*s now to prepare you for A-levels" is just not correct.

GCSE test's less knowledge but over a number of subjects whereas A-levels is the reverse in most cases, so different people will perform better depending on how well they cope with each system.

ReputationRep:

UPDATE

Just thought I would give you guys a little update, seeing as I have some time:

Since I don't have my mock exams for another 3 weeks, I am taking it easy these few days so that I do not over stress. I am revising the things that I feel confident in, as well as the things that I have recently done in class, whilst they are still quite fresh in my head.
    Today, I decided to revise B2C2P2 as part of Core Science as I will be having a mock on that soon and they are the Science modules I feel most confident in. I managed to squeeze all of my revision into one day, however if you are not confident in something, make sure that you are spreading it over some time to allow it to get into your head. That said, I will definitely be going over the content as well as some exam questions, before my mock exam.
    I started by looking over my notes and class work from the B2C2P2 modules. Since I have already had exams on these modules, I had a lot of resources on hand. I used all of my notes, class work, exam questions, and revision cards to help me. After going through my detailed notes, I then used my revision cards which had my condensed notes on it and said them out loud and tried to memorize them. I did not move onto the next ones until I knew all the information on the card. Another thing that I find helpful is reading your notes out loud, (as much from memory as you can) as if you are teaching someone it - it is weird but it works for me! I am now having an hour's break so all the information can sink in. I have also had my dinner and am basically "chilling". After my break, I will be doing a B2C2P2 exam paper to help identify my strengths and weaknesses so I can work on them.
    So that is what I am doing today - nothing too intense. I recommend starting out light when you start revising and build up to more revision sessions each day/week because if you feel too overwhelmed at the beginning, it may put you off.

Emmy

ReputationRep:
    True, but saying "GCSEs are easy, you have to get all As/A*s now to prepare you for A-levels" is just not correct.

GCSE test's less knowledge but over a number of subjects whereas A-levels is the reverse in most cases, so different people will perform better depending on how well they cope with each system.
    I meant in the subjects that they want to do at A-levels but yeah, I guess it varies depending on the individual. I've just started A-levels, I'm not really experienced lol (only for Maths).

ReputationRep:
    I meant in the subjects that they want to do at A-levels but yeah, I guess it varies depending on the individual. I've just started A-levels, I'm not really experienced lol (only for Maths).
    Fair enough, best of luck for this year

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, best of luck for this year
    Thank you

ReputationRep:

UPDATE

I gave my B2C2P2 paper to my Science teacher to mark and I am so happy to say I got 55/60 which is an A*. This has really, really increased my confidence by a lot and has made me believe that if I try, I can do anything. It's amazing how good you feel about yourself when you prove to yourself that you can get anything if you really, really try. I will be doing plenty more exam papers and I will definitely share them with you.
    I know my posts aren't very exciting at the moment, but when the exams hit me, I'm sure I'll have a lot more to write about!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Expect a post on my exam tips and techniques soon!

Emmy

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.