Turn on thread page Beta

Dating a guy to make him happy? watch

I'm currently dating this guy and he's really sweet and amazing but I don't really feel any romantic/sexual feelings towards him but really do enjoy hanging out with him because of how happy it makes him. I really love seeing people happy and me dating him makes him SO happy. I don't want to make him feel bad by breaking up with him even though it is early stages. I just really don't see it working out in the long term as a relationship but he does.

ReputationRep:
    Leading him on and then breaking up with him in the distant future will only make it worse. You need to end it and not lead him on.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you think he's sweet and amazing then why are you giving him false hope? Dating isn't about doing things for the sake of making someone happy. You're giving him the wrong impression and that's not a very nice thing to do. I suggest you just call it off from here and let him know as soon as possible before you hurt him even more.

You need to be honest with him

If he's sweet and nice he can take it, plus he'll appreciate the honesty more

But leading him on is just wrong
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm currently dating this guy and he's really sweet and amazing but I don't really feel any romantic/sexual feelings towards him but really do enjoy hanging out with him because of how happy it makes him. I really love seeing people happy and me dating him makes him SO happy. I don't want to make him feel bad by breaking up with him even though it is early stages. I just really don't see it working out in the long term as a relationship but he does.
    Bad idea imo he will be mortified when he finds out you are dating him because you feel sorry for him and have no interest at all. What happened with just being friends? Will you be sleeping with him just to make him happy as well?

The danger of just going along with something so you dont upset someone is that you cna be manipulated and find yourself in a lot of situations that are not good for you, but you are afraid to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in this situation before and all I can say is, you have to be cruel to be kind. Even though you feel you are doing good with providing him with happiness now, you are only going to further his hurt when you do finally end it with him. End it the nicest way you can but it will hurt him no matter what but he will appreciate not being led on and it'll give you both a chance to get away from this situation and maybe meet someone better matched to each of you in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Don't. Date. Someone. You. Don't. Like.
    ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not good for either of you. Is this the norm for you or your first time in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got real friendly with some girl in my sports class but in the end I found out she was just leading me on which is what you seem to be doing. As someone who's experienced being led on first hand, don't do it cos it made me feel like my dreams had been crushed when I found out she wasn't actually into me and no doubt the lad your doing it to will feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    I won't offer any constructive advice 'cos I have a deep seated hatred for girls like you. But I do want to emphasise how strongly I dislike girls that do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy)
    Last year I got real friendly with some girl in my sports class but in the end I found out she was just leading me on which is what you seem to be doing. As someone who's experienced being led on first hand, don't do it cos it made me feel like my dreams had been crushed when I found out she wasn't actually into me and no doubt the lad your doing it to will feel the same.
    lovely and dramatic

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I'm not that guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorpusLuteum)
    lovely and dramatic
    I should have said metaphorically speaking

ReputationRep:
    oh my god girl, don't go there . i was forced into a relationship that i never wanted by two of my friends. it only cause a heartbreak for him and guilt for me.
    hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Like many have said if you don't feel anything beyond friendship be honest with him , staying with someone to keep him happy is a recipe for disaster.

ReputationRep:
    You may not have any romantic/sexual feelings toward him instantly, but if you do decide to keep dating him, you may feel that your feelings for him grow. In my opinion love isn't at first sight, it happens over time and you may start to form stronger (better) feelings that what romantic and sexual can get you. Soooo, depends on what you want.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.