username1422179
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
when water moves from the cortex into the xylem via osmosis, which pathway does water take when it moves up the xylem, apoplast or symplast pathway?
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by uchihaitachi0023)
when water moves from the cortex into the xylem via osmosis, which pathway does water take when it moves up the xylem, apoplast or symplast pathway?
To get into the xylem from the root cortex, water must flow through the symplast pathway as the endodermis layer has cells that contain an impermeable band of Suberin, referred to as a casparian strip, so it stops water flowing through the apoplast (which is located in the cell wall) and forces it into the cytoplasm to take the symplast pathway.
username2199397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
To get into the xylem from the root cortex, water must flow through the symplast pathway as the endodermis layer has cells that contain an impermeable band of Suberin, referred to as a casparian strip, so it stops water flowing through the apoplast (which is located in the cell wall) and forces it into the cytoplasm to take the symplast pathway.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4399716
username1422179
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
i know the pathway water takes to the xylem, i was wondering when the water enters the xylem itself is there an apoplast or symplast pathway in the xylem itself or is it just one route
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by uchihaitachi0023)
i know the pathway water takes to the xylem, i was wondering when the water enters the xylem itself is there an apoplast or symplast pathway in the xylem itself or is it just one route
There is just one route in the xylem which water enters through the symplasy pathway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads