Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What size or capacity mini fridge would you recommend getting for your room?

ReputationRep:
    They're banned at most universities, since they use a huge amount of electricity.

If you are allowed them though (or are living out), then I can't imagine needing much more than 15 Litres... It's easy enough to refill them if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    At Liverpool university, you are allowed mini fridges, but with a capacity of no more than 2 litres!

ReputationRep:
    They may be banned at uni residences, whether for health and safety (fire risk apparently) or because they use lots of electricity. TBH, they were banned in my residence and lots of people still had them. Your rooms are very rarely checked by the owners. Most of these checks are done using a random sample (at most 10% of rooms were checked once or twice a year) because there's so many places to go and you are given notice before it happens (24-48hours) so, you've got plenty of time to hide your mini fridge in your cupboard (and they need a police warrant with police officers at hand to do a search of your private property, which isn't going to happen).

And, as i understand it, if you are caught with a mini fridge in your room, all they can do is serve you with a warning first (it all depends on the conditions and laws of the hall that you signed up to on the contract) and they can't really confiscate it because that would constitute theft (again, it depends on the conditions of your contract).

ReputationRep:
    I had a mini fridge and used it all the time, no-one at my uni ever said anything about me having it, in fact most people had one.

ReputationRep:
    We are not allowed one but cause of medical reasons they are going to provide me with one. Which is nice as thats one less item I need to buy.

ReputationRep:
    As people said, they are banned at many unis because they use up too much electricity. But most people have them anyway as the only staff member who usually sees your room is your cleaner and she most of the time doesn't care.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who have had a mini-fridge in your room... what do you use it for? I've only ever associated mini-fridges with cans of drink (as you see them in catalogues). I'm guessing you use them to put yoghurt and chocolate and things like that. Things that are yours and yours alone. Freeing up space in the kitchen fridge for butter, milk, cheese, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to use one to keep stuff in like Ham and Butter just in case I got a housemate who pinched my food, but luckey, I got nice housemates so I didn't need one in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's dont allow minifridges becuase of the amount of electricitiy that they use. Using them is inconsiderate beacuse it not only pushes up the rent for everyone (to cover the electricity used) but it is also not doing the environment any good either! Do you really need a minifridge? Is it too much effort to walk down the corridor to the kitchen to get your beer?

And if youre living in a private rent, chances are you're paying your own electricity - is it really worth the cost of running one?!

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to get a mini fridge so that i could keep milk in my room for making tea...although now that you mention it i guess it wouldnt be such a hassle to go into the kitchen

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if UNITE allow them?.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm allowed one and the bills are covered in the rent which is set at a certain amount. I was worried about people nicking my stuff and not replacing it, does this happen much in anyone's experience?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, UNITE allow fridges. I have one of those 40litre Stella Husky ones. I have all my fridge food in it and some beer and bread. It keeps things bloody freezing.

ReputationRep:
    Mini fridges do not use alot of electricity.

According to John Lewis's webiste a 46L minifridge's annual electricity usage is £9.

I will be paying a £350 utility charge for my electricity so i will be taking one.

£350 for electricity for 1 person is a right rip off, at my home my dad just paid £100 for the past quarter year and that includes 2 fridge/freezers, computers, tvs etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how mini you mean. I have a tiny one that I have on in my room during revision time so that I can put a pint of milk in. I live in an attic and don't want to have to walk downstairs everytime I want a brew.

I don't agree with the huge fridges like the Stella ones in private accommodation. If one person gets one then changes are everyone else will want one too. I have two decent sized fridges in my house for seven people to share yet everyone discusses how they want their own fridge in their room. If we all had one there would be 9 fridges in the house. Imagine what our bills would be like? They are bad enough already.

Personally if you are just being fussy about sharing a fridge then you don't need one and shouldn't get one. If you NEED a fridge for medicines then I'm sure you could come to some arrangment with the uni.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.