Turn on thread page Beta

Would you vote for a Muslim Prime Minister? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote a Muslim for Prime Minister?
    Yes
    58.16%
    No
    41.84%

ReputationRep:
    I know you don't technically vote for Prime Ministers but fo your local MP, but if the leader of the party you support was a Muslim, would you vote for him to be Prime Minister?

ReputationRep:
    As the official religion of the UK is Christianity i can't see it working that well tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course. I'm one myself

ReputationRep:
    So long as they're competent and have political beliefs that aligned with my own I wouldn't care.

If you're suggesting a sharia-mad leader (hypothetically of course) then hell no.

ReputationRep:
    No, I would only vote for a Christian.

ReputationRep:
    No. this is Britain, not Syria

ReputationRep:
    Why should their religion play such a prominent part in politics? Surely if they're good, they're good and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I can't really respect anyone if they believe in silly things like invisible pink unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters, or gods.

ReputationRep:
    If they intended to implement credible policies without any degree of religious favouritism or proliferation then, in theory, I don't see why not. But in practice I highly doubt this would be the case. Given the fact that the Church is still a vested interest in British government (we are not a secular state, sadly) then I can foresee serious frictions emerging. I doubt the majority of the public would accept a Muslim PM either if I'm being perfectly honest, especially in light of recent terror attacks. I'm not by any means going down the "all Muslims.." road here either, but it would be a lie if I said people don't associate the two things with one another. As a result, it probably wouldn't be wholly appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    If they align with my political beliefs, why not? I hate that a brown candidate would be asked about their religion, when all white candidates are assumed to be Christian (even when they're probably agnostic/atheist).

I'm a brown person, and if I ever ran for public office I'd just (try to) not talk about my religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Why should their religion play such a prominent part in politics? Surely if they're good, they're good and vice versa.
    Because Islam contradicts the values of the UK. Islamic countries oppress women and non-Muslims, stone homosexuals to death, behead everyone who opposes them.

ReputationRep:
    Its a nonsensical question OP as you have already said.

ReputationRep:
    Never mind America, if Trump came to Britain the judging by the responses so far... He would be leading the country no questions asked!

ReputationRep:
    I as a Muslim, would vote for a Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever religious beliefs they hold or don't, as long as they're capable of fulfilling their duties as a PM. Why does it matter what religious beliefs they have?

ReputationRep:
    Would literally depend on the individual

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't want Sharia law and I don't want to pay the jizya. I want gays to be able to live without fear of death, I want women to be able to wear what they want and I don't want our centuries of societal progress to be destroyed because of a leader with a backwards ideology ruling the country.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would. Their religion is irrelevant imo .

ReputationRep:
    Only if he said he'd enforce Sharia Law, otherwise what's the point.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Only if their views were in line with society, their religion shouldn't play a part in it unless it dictated the rules they wanted to enforce then no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, inshallah it will happen.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.