Want more information about this university?
Dean.Salt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey , so I am hoping to apply to Portsmouth to study Software Engineering and was just wondering if there is anyone who has studied it before who could explain the course a bit more than the website does , the quality of the lecturers and anything like that.

Cheers
NNirosan02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Dean,

I am a second year in Software Engineering and I am here to answer your question to the best of my ability.

So for the first year you have the same units as 5 other courses Computing, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Web Technologies and Computer Architecture.

The 4 units they all have in common are Introduction to Database Design and Development, Web Foundations 1, Network Fundamentals and Introduction to programming.

Introduction to Database Design - This unit is as the name suggests teaches you the structures of databases and procedures that go into place into developing a database from scratch. The languages used in this unit are (MySQL). This unit will be assessed by 3 submissions from creating a database for an organisation purely based off a case study and 2 in class tests which were multiple choice when I completed them.

Web Foundations 1 - This unit focuses on the fundamentals how websites operate and how they run from a server. here you'll learn to develop and deploy a fully functioning website. For first year the languages we focus on are (HTML and CSS with a little bit of Javascript). For this unit you are assessed via 2 pieces of coursework and an end of year exam. With 1 piece the coursework you are given a subject area and you must write a literature review on how an specific aspect of the provided subject area. The second piece of course is a portfolio website which you will use over your time on this unit throughout your degree.

Network Fundamentals - Focuses on how organisations create, deploy and test their networks for optimisation. The assessment method for this unit is via a group project and end of year exam. In the group project in which you are given a organisation which minimal requirements and you are expected to simulate a fully developed and fully functional network for that organisation

Introduction To Programming - Here we learn the building blocks of programming, Software Engineering specifically focuses on OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) languages. For the first year the languages are Python and Java (Java is continued throughout your degree). In regards to experience requirements you are not expected nor required to have full knowledge of programming this unit will teach from the absolute basics of both languages. This unit is assessed via both in-class tests and assignments, Programming tests will be based on practical worksheet exercises. in which you'll be provided with a scenario case study (with tasks) and a basic template code which you must improve in order to be able to complete each tasks. You will also be completing two assignments which is similar structure however you are not required or limited to completing/developing you assignments in your lab classes.

The reason that the 4 courses are linked is because in the event you do decide to enrol on Software engineering in the first year then you progress through your first year and decide you want to focus more on Web. "With One piece of paper you can be enrolled into the second year of the specified course" and continue your degree under Web Technologies.

In regards to the lecturer quality the focus is that in each of the units are assigned lecturers who research focuses around specific units therefore you'll never get a lecturer who doesn't know the subject area they are teaching.

In the first week at university you'll also be assigned a personal tutor who you can come to at any time or even email queries to and they can respond. Your personal tutor can help with academic and non-academic queries.

Hope this answers your question as much as possible.

Kind Regards,
Nirosan Nadarajah
Dean.Salt
Rep:
?
Thanks for that reply Nirosan , it was very helpful and i appreciate it

I have just got back from the open day at Portsmouth and will likely make it my firm choice based on that and your reply , thanks again for the reply and maybe i will see you around.
NNirosan02
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your welcome Dean,

That's awesome. I was a Technology Student Ambassador at the open day today. Hope it was also informative and helpful
Dean.Salt
Rep:
?
(Original post by NNirosan02)
Your welcome Dean,

That's awesome. I was a Technology Student Ambassador at the open day today. Hope it was also informative and helpful
Yeah it was great , loved the lab tours!
NNirosan02
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dean.Salt)
Yeah it was great , loved the lab tours!
Nice, which lab was most intriguing to you.
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey.

I'm a third year Software Engineering student after just returning from placement.

Niro sums it up very well.

In addition I'd definitely recommend trying to get a placement during the second year, it will really help your career prospects. As a result of my placement I already have a confirmed job to walk into after University, it takes a lot of stress out of the third year of wondering what you're going to do etc... and having to attend interviews while trying to do your final year project at the same time.
Dean.Salt
Rep:
?
(Original post by NNirosan02)
Nice, which lab was most intriguing to you.
The forensic computing lab was really cool , will probably not go into that degree but it was very interesting all the same. In general i just liked how open the labs plan the labs were
Dean.Salt
Rep:
?
(Original post by StatusRed)
Hey.

I'm a third year Software Engineering student after just returning from placement.

Niro sums it up very well.

In addition I'd definitely recommend trying to get a placement during the second year, it will really help your career prospects. As a result of my placement I already have a confirmed job to walk into after University, it takes a lot of stress out of the third year of wondering what you're going to do etc... and having to attend interviews while trying to do your final year project at the same time.
Yeah i do plan to get a placement , they really pushed them during the open day and they sound pretty cool . Where did you go for your placement?
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dean.Salt)
Yeah i do plan to get a placement , they really pushed them during the open day and they sound pretty cool . Where did you go for your placement?
I worked for a company in Manchester. If you want to know more PM me, the work was sensitive so I don't want to publicly post it online!
Dean.Salt
Rep:
?
(Original post by StatusRed)
I worked for a company in Manchester. If you want to know more PM me, the work was sensitive so I don't want to publicly post it online!
Ah okay , i might do when i actually start
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (99)
27.89%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (136)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.1%

Watched Threads