Turn on thread page Beta

My existence seems to revolve around job hunting watch

ReputationRep:
    Since I graduated uni in January I've been applying for work in my field. I know this topic isn't uncommon or new and there are tons of threads on the subject. But I'm getting very depressed over it and feel like giving up some days.

I have pre-existing depression anyways, and anxiety and suffer work related stress from my current job. Lately, over the last couple months I've been regularly looking for work (anything to get me out my current job) and also grad work.

I've had two interviews- one was a few months ago, and one was about three-four week ago.

I'm applying for graduate schemes, civil services etc., I've applied for internships (to get experience in my area) as that seems to be the general feedback I'm getting. I've applied for jobs in corporations with help of internal referrals. Still no joy.

I'm primarily using the internet to look for work, emailing companies, sending CVs, cover letters, portfolios. I'm looking on linkedin, reaching out to recruitment consultants and volunteering in my spare time (although its very hit and miss at minute).

I dunno what else to do. I have like a million different versions of my CV and covering letter its stressful!

In between applying I do very little, since I dont have a social life (outside work- just moved here) and even then I dont like my colleagues enough to call them mates.

I've been looking for temp work to get me out of my current job- even just working in a factory, but I can't even find that.

What can I do?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Since I graduated uni in January I've been applying for work in my field. I know this topic isn't uncommon or new and there are tons of threads on the subject. But I'm getting very depressed over it and feel like giving up some days.

I have pre-existing depression anyways, and anxiety and suffer work related stress from my current job. Lately, over the last couple months I've been regularly looking for work (anything to get me out my current job) and also grad work.

I've had two interviews- one was a few months ago, and one was about three-four week ago.

I'm applying for graduate schemes, civil services etc., I've applied for internships (to get experience in my area) as that seems to be the general feedback I'm getting. I've applied for jobs in corporations with help of internal referrals. Still no joy.

I'm primarily using the internet to look for work, emailing companies, sending CVs, cover letters, portfolios. I'm looking on linkedin, reaching out to recruitment consultants and volunteering in my spare time (although its very hit and miss at minute).

I dunno what else to do. I have like a million different versions of my CV and covering letter its stressful!

In between applying I do very little, since I dont have a social life (outside work- just moved here) and even then I dont like my colleagues enough to call them mates.

I've been looking for temp work to get me out of my current job- even just working in a factory, but I can't even find that.

What can I do?
    Have you considered asking any of them why your not offered a job for a specific reason? Don't worry too much just hang in there with your current job but carry on applying anywhere you want hopefully you will get offered soon so you can quit when you want. Some times consistency is key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illimitable)
    Have you considered asking any of them why your not offered a job for a specific reason? Don't worry too much just hang in there with your current job but carry on applying anywhere you want hopefully you will get offered soon so you can quit when you want. Some times consistency is key.
    I haven't directly asked (except in a few circumstances), but in most cases have been given feedback. One significant theme that came up is they always highlight my lack of experience and that my skills "weren't quite up to scratch", that they'd keep my name on file should suitable vacancies arise.

One other time I was told I would be better suited to a role in another slightly different (somewhat related) industry/field during interview. Subsequently I followed up with an email and asked about such roles in that company. They said they weren't any.

So I'm at a loss. I've volunteered sporadically to try get experience and build a portfolio but it doesn't seem to be enough, even applying for internships and getting turned down.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I haven't directly asked (except in a few circumstances), but in most cases have been given feedback. One significant theme that came up is they always highlight my lack of experience and that my skills "weren't quite up to scratch", that they'd keep my name on file should suitable vacancies arise.

One other time I was told I would be better suited to a role in another slightly different (somewhat related) industry/field during interview. Subsequently I followed up with an email and asked about such roles in that company. They said they weren't any.

So I'm at a loss. I've volunteered sporadically to try get experience and build a portfolio but it doesn't seem to be enough, even applying for internships and getting turned down.
    Try for different job roles then. If that's what they say give it a go and see if you can get a job specified by them.

ReputationRep:
    Become a professional League of Legends player

ReputationRep:
    Looks exactly as my situation.

graphic design?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    graphic design?
    Yes Graphic Design.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Become a full time Pokémon Trainer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.