Urdu - A
    Physics - A*
    ICT (DIDA) - A* (distinction)
    Business Studies - A*
    English Literature - A*
    Geography - A*
    History - A*
    Religious Studies - A*

I have always wanted to do medicine at uni, so I currently studying Chemistry,Biology and Maths at a level, however, I have always also been interested in Economics, so I am also doing that for A Level (I have also recently been interested in applying for Land Economy at Cambridge). On top of my four a levels, I am also doing an EPQ.

From my GCSEs I was complacent that I could handle 4 subjects, howvere recently I have been struggling (especially with CHEM). Also, we got our report and from my GCSE grades I should be getting all A/A*s.
    However, from recent tests, I am predicted to get A (economics), B(biology) C (maths) and a D (IN CHEM)

I wanted to apply for medicine at Cambridge,UCL or King's, therefore I thought having to do four a levels will give me a better advantage, as long as i get good grades in all four.
    However, recently Chemistry has made me doubt whether I can become a docto, so I was considering to drop it. Or drop economics, because I feel that by ding three subjects I could concentrate on Chem and try to get an A. But, I find economics really interesting and it's my highest grade.

^so I am in a b it of a dilemma.

BTW I am in yr12
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BULL14)
    I have recently done my GCSEs and got:
    My GCSEs are:
    Further Maths - A
    English Language - A*
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    French - B
    Urdu - A
    Physics - A*
    Business Studies - A*
    English Literature - A*
    Geography - A*
    History - A*
    Religious Studies - A*

I have always wanted to do medicine at uni, so I currently studying Chemistry,Biology and Maths at a level, however, I have always also been interested in Economics, so I am also doing that for A Level (I have also recently been interested in applying for Land Economy at Cambridge). On top of my four a levels, I am also doing an EPQ.

From my GCSEs I was complacent that I could handle 4 subjects, howvere recently I have been struggling (especially with CHEM). Also, we got our report and from my GCSE grades I should be getting all A/A*s.
    However, from recent tests, I am predicted to get A (economics), B(biology) C (maths) and a D (IN CHEM)

I wanted to apply for medicine at Cambridge,UCL or King's, therefore I thought having to do four a levels will give me a better advantage, as long as i get good grades in all four.
    However, recently Chemistry has made me doubt whether I can become a docto, so I was considering to drop it. Or drop economics, because I feel that by ding three subjects I could concentrate on Chem and try to get an A. But, I find economics really interesting and it's my highest grade.

BTW I am in yr12
    If your dead set on going to medical school then you will have to drop a subject on your own choice. It depends what you want to do because for Med school at Cambridge you need Maths A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    😢😢😢😢

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would drop EPQ before I would drop a subject, it's less important

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling I did well in my GCSE's and thought 4 a levels would be no problem but I realised that if I wanted to get the grades then I needed to drop one so I had more time to focus on doing well. It's worked I've already gone up from getting D's in start of term tests to B's (I'm also in Year 12), I haven't started my EPQ yet but I plan to do it sometime this year. I guess if you want to do medicine I'd drop economics and just focus on getting the three grades you need which will stand you in better stead then 4 slighty lower grades. I do agree with ions though and drop your EPQ first or put it on hold and see if that helps as you can always carry on with it later in the year or next year even if you need. Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    The epq is compulsory at my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrisonchar)
    I know the feeling I did well in my GCSE's and thought 4 a levels would be no problem but I realised that if I wanted to get the grades then I needed to drop one so I had more time to focus on doing well. It's worked I've already gone up from getting D's in start of term tests to B's (I'm also in Year 12), I haven't started my EPQ yet but I plan to do it sometime this year. I guess if you want to do medicine I'd drop economics and just focus on getting the three grades you need which will stand you in better stead then 4 slighty lower grades. I do agree with ions though and drop your EPQ first or put it on hold and see if that helps as you can always carry on with it later in the year or next year even if you need. Good luck with your decision!
    Thank u 4 ur reply. However I forgot to mention that the EPQ is mandatory at my school.

ReputationRep:
    The epq is compulsory at my school
    Wow.. that's really stupid.

I highly recommend that you drop Economics then. People should only do 3 A Levels, that's all Universities care about..

ReputationRep:
    I have recently done my GCSEs and got:
    My GCSEs are:
    Further Maths - A
    English Language - A*
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    French - B
    Urdu - A
    Physics - A*
    Business Studies - A*
    English Literature - A*
    Geography - A*
    History - A*
    Religious Studies - A*

BTW I am in yr12
    You don't need 4 A Levels and it won't necessarily advantage you. I know this is definitely true for UCL, and I'm certain it's the same way for KCL - Cambridge may be different, I know it's common there to have at least 4 A Levels, but again, having 3 doesn't doesn't discard you from selection.

If you don't want to do 4, then don't. Whichever subject you drop is up to you. If you drop chemistry, I don't think undergraduate medicine is realistic anymore, so that may be something you need to consider.

ReputationRep:
    Thank u 4 ur reply. However I forgot to mention that the EPQ is mandatory at my school.
    It is at my sixth form as well but I just had a quick chat with the head explaining how I felt and they were fine about it, have you talked to anyone within school about it all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrisonchar)
    It is at my sixth form as well but I just had a quick chat with the head explaining how I felt and they were fine about it, have you talked to anyone within school about it all?
    Its that is it feasible to do four when you are lazy

ReputationRep:
    Considering you seem to be struggling, I would advise that you should probably drop a subject, because not only will it free up your time, but also because if you are struggling now, taking 4 (I assume they're all linear for your year group) linear subjects will be a somewhat unbearable burden next year.

I am currently in year 13 and kept my 4 on, 3 of which are linear. Unless you found the AS year easy (or at the very least manageable) then I would suggest that taking 4 on to A2 is a very poor choice considering you can get into uni with 3.

As for what to drop, I think the unfortunate thing is you're going to have to decide your career path now. Especially if you're considering Cambridge and other top universities- they often demand certain subjects for certain courses.

If you cannot cope at this point, then please don't try to take on too much, because it only gets worse. As others have said, I would take it up with your head of sixth form that you WILL be dropping EPQ, because they cannot force you to do it, if you can prove it is detrimental to the qualifications you desperately need. Alternatively, you could do a bit of soul searching and identify why it's causing you such a problem. Is it truly the workload hindering you, or do you just need to go to a teacher for some extra help? There's no shame in that, many people have to.

Plus, it may be that you're putting a little too much pressure on yourself. The jump from GCSE to A-Level is a substantial one, and it may be that it takes you a little while longer to get used to what is required of you now. It's heartbreaking, but I honestly don't think people emphasise enough how good GCSEs even to the standard your are, are by no means a reliable indicator of performance at A-Level. I know plenty people with GCSEs like yours (i.e. Better than mine) who just for some reason could not wrap their heads around A Levels. Whereas I came in with straight As and a couple of A*s, not perfect by any means, yet was one of maybe 4 people in the year to achieve 4 As at AS. I got some sketchy grades (Bs, occasional C) for a few months, but for me, the penny just dropped one day. Perhaps this will happen for you as the potential is clearly there.

I think you should speak to your teachers about getting help from them to boost your grades, think about forcing their hand regarding EPQ, and try to remedy the situation. If nothing improves, then drop whichever subject is least relevant to your career choice.

Best of luck OP, sorry if I've gone off point here as it didn't occur to me to quote your post so I could remind myself of the questions you were asking.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.