Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, so im taking grade 2, possibly grade 3 rockschool vocal exams this coming season...im guessing from my last post that not many people take the rock school vocal exams so i'll broaden on my question in the latter post by asking you to tell me about your experiences with any singing exams whether it be classical or pop or whatever..its ust that ive never done a vocal graded exam before and am entering meself without a teacher so im just scrabbling for any extra useful info really..cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi Laurakate

My training was all classical but since then I have mostly done theatre and blues/soul. The basic techniques are exactly the same and that's what will be looked for in the exams. Breathing (absolutely the most important thing). Stretch your range in your practicing but sing well within it in performance. Act your song, get the story across, play the part. The most prevelant fault with rock/pop singers (sorry, esp. girls - now I'm in trouble) is using too much nasal resonance - use your full chest voice unless you're doing a wispy little high bit with a mic. Are you allowed to use a mic? that's a whole other area of thechnique.

Most important of all - get a teacher!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    cheers fletch

well in grades 1-3 use of a mic is optional so im gonna use one coz ive been taught how to do so

I did a singing evening course at a local college so im hoping what i learnt there will get me through grades 2-3 but after that i think ill deffo seek the help of a teacher.

its quite ironic as im good at music but i only got up the courage to take singing seriously later in life. How long did it take you to get through grades 1-8 in the singing syllabus you worked with (that is assuming you took some grade exams lol)

the acting out the performance is a really good point, im gonna walk into the exam room and really throw myself into it lol

ReputationRep:
    I only did grd 6 (in a year) to help my application for a choral scholarship and later did LRAM when I wanted to start teaching. Other than that it as all been down to doing it A LOT and having several really good teachers. The blues styling has just come from listening and imitating esp. Ray Charles (or god, as I think of him :cool: ).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.