Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First of all sorry for reposting, I really had to.
    Hi guys, I'm stuck on this question...
    Attachment 592514
    Here are the choices...
    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 343
Size:  7.3 KBAttachment 592514592516
    (p.s. if the picture is not loading... The choices for MAGNETIC FIELD AT Y are towards the top of page, towards the bottom of page, to the left, to the right, into the page, out of the page. Same goes for FORCE ON Y.)

So I have looked through the mark scheme and the answer is towards the bottom of the page AND to the left.
    I just want the explanation to this Thank you!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MRWAFFLE)
    First of all sorry for reposting, I really had to.
    Hi guys, I'm stuck on this question...
    Attachment 592514
    Here are the choices...
    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 343
Size:  7.3 KBAttachment 592514592516
    (p.s. if the picture is not loading... The choices for MAGNETIC FIELD AT Y are towards the top of page, towards the bottom of page, to the left, to the right, into the page, out of the page. Same goes for FORCE ON Y.)

So I have looked through the mark scheme and the answer is towards the bottom of the page AND to the left.
    I just want the explanation to this Thank you!
    Use Flemings rules.

Right hand grip rule:

The current in both conductors is in the same direction and will produce a magnetic field wrapping around each conductor in a clockwise direction:

Because the current in both conductors is in the same direction, it has the effect of reinforcing the field lines wrapping around both rather like putting an elastic band around both producing an attractive force. (NB note the direction of the current out-of and into the page denoted, by the dot and cross respectively) :

Since the question asks for the direction of the force on conductor Y, this will be towards conductor X. i.e. to the left of the page.

Flemings Left Hand motor rule:

Because the current in the conductor creates a magnetic field which couples with the field induced around the adjacent conductor to produce a force, this is the principle of an electric motor and hence we need to invoke Flemings Left Hand Rule. (As opposed to the Right Hand Rule which is invoked when the motion of the conductor induces a current - dynamo effect).

Aligning your left hand with conductor Y such that your second finger (current) points into the page, and, that your thumb points in the force direction to the left of the page, your remaining index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field at Y. i.e. towards the bottom of the page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Use Flemings rules.

Right hand grip rule:

The current in both conductors is in the same direction and will produce a magnetic field wrapping around each conductor in a clockwise direction:

Because the current in both conductors is in the same direction, it has the effect of reinforcing the field lines wrapping around both rather like putting an elastic band around both producing an attractive force. (NB note the direction of the current out-of and into the page denoted, by the dot and cross respectively) :

Since the question asks for the direction of the force on conductor Y, this will be towards conductor X. i.e. to the left of the page.

Flemings Right Hand dynamo rule:

Aligning your right hand with the right hand conductor Y such that your index finger (current) points into the page, and, that your thumb points in the force direction to the left of the page, your remaining index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field at Y. i.e. towards the top of the page.

Hiya,
    Please could you answer my question? I've posted it on my profile, but its just on why you can't get an increasing acceleration on diplacement/time grpahs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Use Flemings rules.

Right hand grip rule:

Flemings Left Hand motor rule:

Because the current in the conductor creates a magnetic field which couples with the field induced around the adjacent conductor to produce a force, this is the principle of an electric motor and hence we need to invoke Flemings Left Hand Rule. (As opposed to the Right Hand Rule which is invoked when the motion of the conductor induces a current - dynamo effect).

Aligning your left hand with conductor Y such that your second finger (current) points into the page, and, that your thumb points in the force direction to the left of the page, your remaining index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field at Y. i.e. towards the bottom of the page.

Thank you soooo much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.