Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm new here, I'm an international student who does the International Baccalaureate and has applied for Engineering at Cambridge.

However the ENGAA exams coincided with my IB exams and I was not able to fully prepare nor was really alert during the ENGAA test, so I think I did really bad on it (50-60% Section A, 30-40%? Section B I think) So I feel that I will be at a disadvantage compared to others.

Since a flight to the UK is prohibitively expensive I don't want to waste money and fly over for an interview if I get one (as I think the admissions tutor may be prejudiced due to my ENGAA result, leaving me at an overwhelming disadvantage.

My predicted grades are good though, predicted a 45 but I still think my chances are slim due to that abysmal ENGAA test.

What do you guys think I should do?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by d3devaP)
    Hi guys I'm new here, I'm an international student who does the International Baccalaureate and has applied for Engineering at Cambridge.

However the ENGAA exams coincided with my IB exams and I was not able to fully prepare nor was really alert during the ENGAA test, so I think I did really bad on it (50-60% Section A, 30-40%? Section B I think) So I feel that I will be at a disadvantage compared to others.

Since a flight to the UK is prohibitively expensive I don't want to waste money and fly over for an interview if I get one (as I think the admissions tutor may be prejudiced due to my ENGAA result, leaving me at an overwhelming disadvantage.

My predicted grades are good though, predicted a 45 but I still think my chances are slim due to that abysmal ENGAA test.

What do you guys think I should do?
    The ENGAA is one part of your application. If indeed it was weak (although Cambridge guidance is that it's supposed to be "hard" and 50% is a typical average score) it may be made up by strengths elsewhere in your application, of which the interview would be another chance to "shine".

If you are invited to interview then Cambridge think it's worth your while, and theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The ENGAA is one part of your application. If indeed it was weak (although Cambridge guidance is that it's supposed to be "hard" and 50% is a typical average score) it may be made up by strengths elsewhere in your application, of which the interview would be another chance to "shine".

If you are invited to interview then Cambridge think it's worth your while, and theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well Cambridge interview 80%, and their acceptance rate is much lower than that. so I would consider my chances to be lower than that of the average applicant due to my ENGAA score...Your thoughts?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    well Cambridge interview 80%, and their acceptance rate is much lower than that. so I would consider my chances to be lower than that of the average applicant due to my ENGAA score...Your thoughts?
    I already said the average AA score is approx 50%.

But if you still think yours is "weak" then you need to strengthen your application elsewhere. Eg your interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Might as well go. Don't unis cover some of the cost of travel?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by metrize)
    Might as well go. Don't unis cover some of the cost of travel?
    No.

Certainly not Cambridge for internationals. Although they do provide free accommodation for 1 night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I already said the average AA score is approx 50%.

But if you still think yours is "weak" then you need to strengthen your application elsewhere. Eg your interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

if I interview well, but someone else doesn't interview that well but has a better ENGAA result will my chances be lower? Thanks for your advice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    if I interview well, but someone else doesn't interview that well but has a better ENGAA result will my chances be lower? Thanks for your advice anyway!
    Depends on the college, but you might as well try so later in life you don't have regrets

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.