Turn on thread page Beta

Help needed with a Chemistry experiment? Thanks. watch

ReputationRep:
    A housewife suspects a new, blue cake colouring called 'cake mix 2' is the same food colouring she developed at home using crushed blueberries. Plan and design an experiment to test the housewife's claim.
    You must first develop the following:
    Hypothesis
    Aim
    Apparatus and materials
    Method
    Variables (controlled, manipulated, responding)
    Expected results (include table)
    Intepreted results
    2 Limitations
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by The_KingRaptor)
    A housewife suspects a new, blue cake colouring called 'cake mix 2' is the same food colouring she developed at home using crushed blueberries. Plan and design an experiment to test the housewife's claim.
    You must first develop the following:
    Hypothesis
    Aim
    Apparatus and materials
    Method
    Variables (controlled, manipulated, responding)
    Expected results (inclusde table)
    Intepreted results
    2 Limitations
    Hypothesis: It's the same
    Aim: Find out
    Apparatus and materials: spoon
    Method: eat some
    Expected results (inclusde table): Tastes the same
    Name:  table.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.5 KB
    Intepreted results: It's the same
    2 Limitation: Break dancing & woodwork

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could submit any useful and scientifically valid responses it would be appreciated. I'm assuming a separation technique must be used? I have just started Chemistry, so pardon the ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could submit any useful and scientificlly valid responses it would be appreciated. I'm assuming a sepration technique must be used? I have just started Chemistry, so pardon the ignorance.
    I have a feeling it's to do with chromatography, since it involves dyes and that's a great way to separate them. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typicalvirgo)
    I have a feeling it's to do with chromatography, since it involves dyes and that's a great way to separate them. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the response! I do think so as well and I'll look to reaffirm it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the response! I do think so as well and I'll look to reaffirm it.
    Not putting what level this question is aimed at makes it difficult to answer. There's no way you would be able to confirm it is the same dye without separating it (probably using a column, maybe something like Soxhlet extraction if you find a decent solvent) and then IR/NMR/UV-VIS to show it has identical structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Not putting what level this question is aimed at makes it difficult to answer. There's no way you would be able to confirm it is the same dye without separating it (probably using a column, maybe something like Soxhlet extraction if you find a decent solvent) and then IR/NMR/UV-VIS to show it has identical structure.
    Thanks for answering. I've never heard of this before but I'll use this information to aid me in completing my lab. Very useful. If I do decide to use a Soxhet extractor, would it be incorrect to use chromotography? If so, why?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering. I've never heard of this before but I'll use this information to aid me in completing my lab. Very useful. If I do decide to use a Soxhet extractor, would it be incorrect to use chromotography? If so, why?
    You would probably want to do a TLC of your extract after Soxhlet to make sure it's pure. You want to use a solvent your desired product is not particularly soluble in (but still slightly soluble so the boiling solvent will carry some purified product into your RBF every cycle), and your impurities are insoluble in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.