Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First time being employed and I have a few questions... Sorry if they seem a bit naive but I have 0 experience in this area!

I had been sent my contract in the mail to sign and give in during training next weekend. 14 hour part time contract but no explanation of what days this will be!

The guy who had informed me of my offer had told me that it will "most likely be weekends", but I am wondering:
    1. When I get my shift schedule? During induction training?
    2. Will we be asked what days suit us?
    2. If I am not happy with the schedule (I am in college so I need to shape it around my academia) will I able to discuss it with my manager?

I feel that the schedule has been made without any consultation and so I am quite worried about discussing this with my manager as I don't know them and don't want them to have a bad perception of me.

Thank you so much for your help
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You're best off emailing HR and asking the questions you have asked us. Have you signed the contract yet? You should always find out these things before you sign the contract. I'm sure it will be to your liking but it's always good to check first. I would imagine most people would get an email or something telling them the days that they're contracted to work for, or maybe you would find out closer to the start date. I think either way you should email them to get it off your chest.

Now if you're not happy with the schedule, you can negotiate with them but remember your work affects their performance as well so if changing your schedule would affect the company's performance, then they might not change it. But that's with my company and I guess that would be the same for some other companies too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    You're best off emailing HR and asking the questions you have asked us. Have you signed the contract yet? You should always find out these things before you sign the contract. I'm sure it will be to your liking but it's always good to check first. I would imagine most people would get an email or something telling them the days that they're contracted to work for, or maybe you would find out closer to the start date. I think either way you should email them to get it off your chest.

Now if you're not happy with the schedule, you can negotiate with them but remember your work affects their performance as well so if changing your schedule would affect the company's performance, then they might not change it. But that's with my company and I guess that would be the same for some other companies too.
    Hi, thank you so much for your advise. It has calmed me down a little. I had contacted HR and they have cleared quite a lot up for me. The contract wasn't signed at the time either thank you again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    Hi, thank you so much for your advise. It has calmed me down a little. I had contacted HR and they have cleared quite a lot up for me. The contract wasn't signed at the time either thank you again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, I'm glad you got things cleared up Let me know if you have any other questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.