Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing the EPQ and applied to Oxford or Cambridge this year then pls help!

Was it all too much work and did you feel like one or the other was not as good as it could have been?
    I'm trying to decide whether to do an EPQ and the only thing holding me back at the moment is the amount of work it is. And then with Oxbridge application prep, I don't know if I'll be drowning in work!
    Do Oxbridge even value the EPQ!?!

ReputationRep:
    You have more than enough time to do the EPQ after you've applied to Oxbridge and done any admissions tests. I didn't start my EPQ until the March of Year 13 and finished in April, alongside my revision, and had no problems.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by fuzz13)
    If you are doing the EPQ and applied to Oxford or Cambridge this year then pls help!

Was it all too much work and did you feel like one or the other was not as good as it could have been?
    I'm trying to decide whether to do an EPQ and the only thing holding me back at the moment is the amount of work it is. And then with Oxbridge application prep, I don't know if I'll be drowning in work!
    It has some value because you can use it to demonstrate your passion/interest in your preferred course but it isn't factored into any offers (unlike some universities where the offer can sometimes be slightly lower/relaxed if you have a good grade in your EPQ).

ReputationRep:
    Two of my friends got into Oxford alongside doin an EPQ although one was super organised (as well as smart) and did 4 A Levels as well and got A*s in everything. The other did three plus EPQ and she didn't seem particularly stressed either. As in EPQ is work but only over a certain period of time and fine if you organise your time properly

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all!

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 5 unis I've applied to (including Cambridge) only one has given me an alternative offer over it but they're not one of my favourite choices. It's worth it in terms of gaining skills that are valuable for university but unless you can organise your time well I'd advise against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzz13)

Hello! I have applied to Cambridge to read History of Art this year and I feel like my EPQ gave me a lot of opportunities during the interview - especially since I did mine on Modern Architecture which is directly related to my course. Majority of my interview was all about what I researched, questions and some of my thoughts etc. It will be beneficial for you to take it up as you may be able to channel your passion for the subject through your essay/product and reflect it to the admissions tutors, which would definitely put you at an advantage

It does require quite a fair bit of time - doing research and doing up your production log and then writing up the essay; may be tedious but should be fairly enjoyable if you truly enjoy your subject.

Anyways, best of luck in your applications!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.