Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got A grades in biology and chemistry ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahiste)
    Does it have to be A grades? I got A*s in both, would I be able to help? :P

ReputationRep:
    I got As in both at AS and am predicted A*s in both at A Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    How are you revising for A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OfficialChemist)
    How are you revising for A2?
    For Chemistry, flashcards using questions from the past papers, and some knowledge based questions where they wouldn't really ask it in that term, but it's something you need to know (e.g. name three indicators, their colour changes and pH range).
    For Biology, if I'm going over something for the first time (before doing it in lessons) I will do notes on it, same with topics that I'm less certain on. I'll also use flashcards from past paper questions. Biology has a lot of content, though, so make sure to go over your notes every so often, so you don't forget information.

Past papers are just really useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    Does it have to be A grades? I got A*s in both, would I be able to help? :P

Woww! That is amazing do you mind sharing how you've did it? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    That is so good do you mind sharing how you done it? Like revision wise?

ReputationRep:
    Woww! That is amazing do you mind sharing how you've did it? Any tips?
    well everyone is different, I personally made notes using every resource I had, ie the textbooks, cgp guides, class notes and of course the internet. I made the notes over christmas and easter, and then revised them in the weeks leading up to the exams. Basically, the number 1 rule to revising is to actually understand what you're reading, rather than just memorising it. The best way to do this is to explain it to someone else, or yourself, I used to imagine I was teaching someone, and I would also teach my friends and classmates. If you can't explain a concept simply, then you don't understand it yourself. Obviously not everything requires understanding, complex ion colours for example, for things like that, I'd recommend flashcards, I didn't use flashcards at A-level, but I'm now in my 2nd year of medical school and flashcards are my main way of revising now. So if using flashcards can help me pass my medical school exams with distinction then they can get you an A/A* at A-level :P And finally, obviously use past papers, but save them closer to the exams, there's no point doing a past paper if you don't know anything, it's just a waste of time.

Hope that helps, and good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you mean in final exams for A levels? got an A in biology and even an A* in chemistry. Why do you want to know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Do you mean in final exams for A levels? got an A in Biology and even an A* in chemistry. Why do you want to know that?
    that's so good well done, I just want to know how and what you did as there the type of grades I am aiming for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    well everyone is different, I personally made notes using every resource I had, ie the textbooks, cgp guides, class notes and of course the internet. I made the notes over christmas and easter, and then revised them in the weeks leading up to the exams. Basically, the number 1 rule to revising is to actually understand what you're reading, rather than just memorising it. The best way to do this is to explain it to someone else, or yourself, I used to imagine I was teaching someone, and I would also teach my friends and classmates. If you can't explain a concept simply, then you don't understand it yourself. Obviously not everything requires understanding, complex ion colours for example, for things like that, I'd recommend flashcards, I didn't use flashcards at A-level, but I'm now in my 2nd year of medical school and flashcards are my main way of revising now. So if using flashcards can help me pass my medical school exams with distinction then they can get you an A/A* at A-level :P And finally, obviously use past papers, but save them closer to the exams, there's no point doing a past paper if you don't know anything, it's just a waste of time.

Hope that helps, and good luck
    Omg that helps so much thank you very much hope you all the best for your future x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    that's so good well done, I just want to know how and what you did as there the type of grades I am aiming for
    What I did? learning a lot, using secondary literature to get a deeper understanding and watching to some helpful videos and talking with people who have a clue with it to get an extend knowledge for different topics. It was not a problem for myself, as I was always interest in those subjects, even after school. Intending to study subjects which have to do with them.

ReputationRep:
    That is so good do you mind sharing how you done it? Like revision wise?
    Basically just what I put before.
    That said, I did a lot of notes for biology, since my class was quite far behind, and I really learnt the textbook well, because I had a lot of free periods due to the way my school does further maths, so I ended up doing all those, really learning everything in the syllabus well (use the specification! It is your friend!)
    Chemistry, just flashcards and a good understanding. Listening in lessons is really vital.

ReputationRep:
    For Chemistry, flashcards using questions from the past papers, and some knowledge based questions where they wouldn't really ask it in that term, but it's something you need to know (e.g. name three indicators, their colour changes and pH range).
    For Biology, if I'm going over something for the first time (before doing it in lessons) I will do notes on it, same with topics that I'm less certain on. I'll also use flashcards from past paper questions. Biology has a lot of content, though, so make sure to go over your notes every so often, so you don't forget information.

Past papers are just really useful.
    That's really good, I too got A's in the AQA bio and chem AS so I'm just wondering on how I can replicate it this time alongside the A2 content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OfficialChemist)
    That's really good, I too got A's in the AQA bio and chem AS so I'm just wondering on how I can replicate it this time alongside the A2 content.
    I feel that if we work as hard as we did last year, if not harder, we should be fine

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.