Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not bothered one bit, didn't even smile when I got my results! I was just a bit meh about my B in english. I felt 'glad' to get into uni though (when I checked on track) but I didn't woop or anything! lol

I agree with another poster who says it was an anti climax, I was so bored after I found out I'd got in on track.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ecstatic about my results, as I've mentioned in another thread, but my version of 'ecstatic' involves a small laugh and a long, well-earned sleep.

I still grin a little at my A grade in Philosophy though.

ReputationRep:
    I've done a couple of ASs and A2s...
    To be honest, I was disappointed with my UMS marks even though I'd got all As...everyone around me had got As and Bs...but I was still not so happy.
    I don't really know why...I think that most of my teachers has such high hopes and I didn't live up to them. I suppose I'm just indifferent really :rolleyes:
    I think I'm just confused about my results?

I'm extremely happy with my results although the novelty is starting to wear off now. I did smile a lot but I found it hard to go doo-la-ley! that happened later! On to the next hurdle now…

Well done everyone

Sugar cane, don't worry so much about how many UMS marks you got. An A grade translates into 120 UCAS points how ever high or low it may be! ... It's a win/win situation!

Be proud and stop measuring yourself by other people's standards!

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree with this thread more really. I was pleased to confirm my firm uni choice as it required a merit in an extension award, but with the normal a-levels i wasnt really happy at all, despite getting 100% in 11 exams and AAAaa + Merit (AEA Maths). I feel as though this is because had the A* been introduced for this year then A*s instead of As would have been a lot better since so many people got mostly As this year it appears.

What really aggrevates me, is the fact that education ministers, exam boards, or whoever is really responsible for this, appear to take the position "ok fine, we've messed up a bit and awarded too many people the top grade so employers and universities cant see the best students over these past few years. We'll write this massive group of many extremely hard working people off and then hopefully the people starting in 2008 when the A* comes in should have an opportunity to prove themself, and be rewarded a qualification which really says more for all their hard work and efforts".

I thought about writing to various people (ie papers, ministers, exam boards) about my views, or even organising a petition to try to persuade exam boards to just offer an extra certificate of congratulations for all qualifications where candidates gained over 90% of the marks as some sort of consolation for the A* having not yet arrived, as opposed to just writing many students off that achieved very high marks and really require a qualification to show they're in the top 10% as opposed to the top 25%, or even 44% for subjects such as Mathematics!

For those with some sort of statistical knowledge, would it not be right that qualifications should be awarded on some sort of normal distribution curve? When you think that the vast majority of things around us tend towards these, would it not be sensible to make the fair assumption that mathematical knowledge for example tended towards this, as opposed to extremely positive skew which is apparent at the moment!?

This is just my opinion of course, I respect others opinions aswell should they choose to disagree with this post and think that something extra shouldnt be awarded to break up the large top bracket. If anybody has any good ideas or suggestions that they would like to put forward or act on in response to this feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes track made everything a bit of an anticlimax

But I still didnt like the local press snapping away as I was frantically adding up the UMS

ReputationRep:
    I wish I tried more to get higher UMS and chose Further Maths, but i was so lazy at AS, skipped nearly all my free lessons, did no homework throughout 1 1/2 years of physics apart from coursework and revision near exams.

I also regret not applying to cambridge, just to see if I would get in - although if i did I still wouldnt go there :P

Anyway, im still happy i pulled myself together for A2! =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    Sugar cane, don't worry so much about how many UMS marks you got. An A grade translates into 120 UCAS points how ever high or low it may be! ... It's a win/win situation!

Be proud and stop measuring yourself by other people's standards!
    But it's just hard!! I think that I've thrown away some of my university chances and I knew I could have done better...
    (also my really good friend got full UMS in three of her subjects... I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar_cane)
    But it's just hard!! I think that I've thrown away some of my university chances and I knew I could have done better...
    (also my really good friend got full UMS in three of her subjects... I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to!!!)
    I dont think you have thrown away any chances! When you have good AS results they look more on personal statement and interview, trust me. I got 6/6 offers with ABBB at AS.

As to your friend, its like the same for me. He got 594 and 595 in maths and physics. Didnt have 1 module that was below 95%! Got AAAAA and is now off to harvard lol. But people like that are exceptional and there is no way you should compare yourself to them!

ReputationRep:
    Which fool, neg repped me for this thread....get a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andersson)
    I dont think you have thrown away any chances! When you have good AS results they look more on personal statement and interview, trust me. I got 6/6 offers with ABBB at AS.

As to your friend, its like the same for me. He got 594 and 595 in maths and physics. Didnt have 1 module that was below 95%! Got AAAAA and is now off to harvard lol. But people like that are exceptional and there is no way you should compare yourself to them!
    I don't mean to sound up myself, but we're about the same when it comes to school work. We get roughly the same grades all year round and mostly the same marks in all our homework...We have a friendly competitive thing going on...that's just the way we are...
    She got 300/300 for English, Economics and General Studies
    290/300 for maths and 277/300 for Physics...amazing I know...
    So even though I've done more subjects than her...and I've doe 2 A2s this year, it doesn't feel like anything to be proud of! Expecially since the top unis (okay, Oxbridge) look at UMS marks...it's so hard to convince myself that I still have a fighting chance...
    Look at me, the pessimist! lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to sound up myself, but we're about the same when it comes to school work. We get roughly the same grades all year round and mostly the same marks in all our homework...We have a friendly competitive thing going on...that's just the way we are...
    She got 300/300 for English, Economics and General Studies
    290/300 for maths and 277/300 for Physics...amazing I know...
    So even though I've done more subjects than her...and I've doe 2 A2s this year, it doesn't feel like anything to be proud of! Expecially since the top unis (okay, Oxbridge) look at UMS marks...it's so hard to convince myself that I still have a fighting chance...
    Look at me, the pessimist! lol :p:
    You did amazing.

If you want your cambridge offer, stop worrying about your ASs and concentrate on a killer p.s and interview.

There are people who get rejected from oxbridge, imperial, lse etc. with AAAA at AS because they have no extra curricular/interview skills - not because they didnt get 300/300 :rolleyes:

A friend got an offer for Economics at a top uni with ACCD and my other friend with AABB got rejected from the same uni.

Both ended up with AAA at A2 and are taking a gap year.

So chill and concentrate on whats important now! =D

ReputationRep:
    You did amazing.

If you want your cambridge offer, stop worrying about your ASs and concentrate on a killer p.s and interview.

There are people who get rejected from oxbridge, imperial, lse etc. with AAAA at AS because they have no extra curricular/interview skills - not because they didnt get 300/300 :rolleyes:

A friend got an offer for Economics at a top uni with ACCD and my other friend with AABB got rejected from the same uni.

Both ended up with AAA and are taking a gap year.

So chill and concentrate on whats important now! =D
    Aww, thanks again, nice confidence booster! :hugs:
    I don't want Cambridge...naah...(much prefer Oxford :p:)
    I have extra curriculars...well I think they're good enough, gold DofE, 3 instruments...the usual really...but then again most top unis see the same ECs all the time :rolleyes:
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Aww, thanks again, nice confidence booster! :hugs:
    I don't want Cambridge...naah...(much prefer Oxford :p:)
    I have extra curriculars...well I think they're good enough, gold DofE, 3 instruments...the usual really...but then again most top unis see the same ECs all the time :rolleyes:
    Thanks again!
    No prob!

Btw, your extra curriculars dont beat mine :p: 2nd in Young Enterprise
    Wooo

ReputationRep:
    No prob!

Btw, your extra curriculars dont beat mine :p: 2nd in Young Enterprise
    Wooo
    I'm sure if I listed all of them, they would beat that! :p:
    (in the world where quantity of good quality beats just good all quality)

You'll be fine! I know it's hard not to compare but it wont do you any good and it isn't going to alter your grade. Just concentrate on doing really well in year 13. I think your results are fantastic and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it! It doesn't make you any less intelligent than your friend that's for sure!

If you're really that bothered about your UMS marks then why not retake a module or two to take some of the pressure off next year? It isn't worth it if you got a middle-high A grade but if you just scraped by then retaking a module might put your mind at rest. What do you think?

Well done for doing so well. Regardless of what people say, it isn't easy to do well at A level. The figures that have been highlighted are mainly from private, not state schools and they take into account all A level subjects.

ReputationRep:
    haha I'm afraid I feel the same way too! I was totally hyped for the first hour when I found out all my results online. I think the online thing may have killed the excitement a bit. I had to go into school and open the envelope but because i knew my results I had to act like I was really happy for the cameras lol. It was a bit of an anti climax tbh but I'm still happy in the back of my mind that i'm off to LSE and just grateful that I'm not going through the trauma of missing grades and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still really happy that I got an A because I was not expecting one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    You'll be fine! I know it's hard not to compare but it wont do you any good and it isn't going to alter your grade. Just concentrate on doing really well in year 13. I think your results are fantastic and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it! It doesn't make you any less intelligent than your friend that's for sure!

If you're really that bothered about your UMS marks then why not retake a module or two to take some of the pressure off next year? It isn't worth it if you got a middle-high A grade but if you just scraped by then retaking a module might put your mind at rest. What do you think?

Well done for doing so well. Regardless of what people say, it isn't easy to do well at A level. The figures that have been highlighted are mainly from private, not state schools and they take into account all A level subjects.
    Thanks for the confidence!
    I really don't want to retake...in fact I find it annoying that people incessantly retake so they can take the pressure off A2 even if they have As.
    I think if I mentioned my lowest UMS marks...I would get killed on this thread...if you wish to know, let me know and I'll PM you...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.