The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mia_14
Hi, well I have been doing some research here and there to make sure that the university i want to go to (yale) would accept me even if i was an IGCSE student but i didn't find a lot about it could someone please explain :smile:

You need to sit SATs or ACT because your GCSEs on their own aren't sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! So I have a question. For students from the UK, when they apply to USA are the requirements only GCSE and predicted A level results? Or they want to look at GCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from GCSE?

Looking for people who have experience in applying to USA!

Thank you
Original post by moumisayed
Or they want to look at GCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from GCSE?

Nope.
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope.

U sure tho right? I don’t want them to see those grades cuz they’re bad. I totally flunked my mocks and grade 10. I only became serious in grade 11 and I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting A’s and A* for GCSE. So I only want them to see GCSE and A level prediction
U sure tho right? I don’t want them to see those grades cuz they’re bad. I totally flunked my mocks and grade 10. I only became serious in grade 11 and I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting A’s and A* for GCSE. So I only want them to see GCSE and A level prediction

They don't ask for it - and they are more interested in your recent academic performance anyway.
American Universities often ask for a transcript of all your grades. When I applied, I had to give them a transcript of all my grades from year 10 onwards. The teacher, or your head of sixth, will be required to send everything they ask for. So all your grades may be sent. But they will probably only focus on your real exam results. My mocks and such weren't great, and I still got scholarship offers, so try not to worry.

Hi! So I have a question. For students from the UK, when they apply to USA are the requirements only GCSE and predicted A level results? Or they want to look at GCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from GCSE?

Looking for people who have experience in applying to USA!

Thank you
Could you please tell me how was that 11 years ago?
Original post by iStudent07
thanks all.

the SAT bit is bugging me though. I mean why would the university want you to have completed tests in 2 diffrent systems. that is just basically you doing there system plus your own. When they would obviously accpet people with the regular sat>sat II system then why do they expect to international students to do GCSE > Alevel + Sat > SAT II? does this mean that we are much more likley to get accpeted?

My father called Uni/sandiego today and they stated that I wouldnt need SATs n SAT II's. But high results in GCSE with a good amount of subjects and 3 Complete A Levels with good results
Do I have to sit for both SAT and SATII subject tests?
Original post by Doones
You need to sit SATs or ACT because your GCSEs on their own aren't sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SRN306
Do I have to sit for both SAT and SATII subject tests?

Each university will have its own requirements. Look on the admissions page for each institution you are interested in applying to and go from there. Some will not require you to sit either exams and some will want one or both.
In most cases (at most of the top unis) you'll either have to sit the ACT & SAT II or the SAT & SAT II.

Yep, check the requirements per uni tho.
Original post by S1elyak1
Each university will have its own requirements. Look on the admissions page for each institution you are interested in applying to and go from there. Some will not require you to sit either exams and some will want one or both.
Thanks
I need both SAT and SATII for applying MIT
Original post by bant_bus
In most cases (at most of the top unis) you'll either have to sit the ACT & SAT II or the SAT & SAT II.

Yep, check the requirements per uni tho.
Which other colleges are you considering? Why are you applying to MIT?
Original post by SRN306
Thanks
I need both SAT and SATII for applying MIT
Original post by bant_bus
Which other colleges are you considering? Why are you applying to MIT?

MIT is the target college. Will apply to some of the Ivys, Stanford and some safety universities. But I hope to get into a need blind university cause we're poor and I don't think we could ever pay for US universities until I work. So the reasons I am applying to MIT is it's a need blind and it got one of the best physics department in the world
Some of the Ivies are need-blind/need-based and have the best physics departments in the world too. You need much more reason than that to want to go to MIT. If you motivational statement to go there is that weak, you won't fare well against the thousands of other kids applying. re-re-re-consider where you want to apply to and actually go to, and WHY. I can't stress this enough. I chose an Ivy over MIT like thousands of other kids.

Secondly, why you throw in your application, whether a college is need-blind or need-based won't mean sh*t at all. they are all rich af and will, for the most part give you the money you need. I can't explain why I was given more money with my Ivy acceptance than MIT, you won't be able to, none of us are able to. It's obvi a v common occurrence. Just shoot your shot and hope for the best.
Original post by SRN306
MIT is the target college. Will apply to some of the Ivys, Stanford and some safety universities. But I hope to get into a need blind university cause we're poor and I don't think we could ever pay for US universities until I work. So the reasons I am applying to MIT is it's a need blind and it got one of the best physics department in the world
Original post by s.e.r.e.n.e
1. Uni of Southern California is NOT a UC campus. Check out the official UC campuses..
2. You are just too lazy really... There are many books around on how to ace your college application. If you need them, use them.
3. megx is not an answer machine! I guess that's a bit too demanding. For US application, you are expected to have GCSE + A-levels in your pocket. You are expected to have SAT and SATII (2 to 3) as well. Any half-decent school in the US would require 2 SATIIs so check them out.
4. Yes you still need to use the Common App, even though I personally found it much more worse than the UC one. And ya: you will encounter a lot of problem filling: they ask for things like honors classes, class grades, GPA, ranks and so on that are not used in the UK system. For us we only need to fill in our GCSE and A-levels result. That's the merit of the UK system.

I'm currently homeschooled but I plan to take my GCSE's early.I read moving to the U.S for a few years can boost your chances of getting into a good university .Since if I moved I wont have done A-levels, does it still apply?
Moving to the US, alone, will not boost your chances, objectively speaking. Once your application has been sent to the college, your chances are pretty much the same as the other thousands of applicants. Most top colleges have a quota for international students that cannot be exceeded so US citizens have it a lil easier. Moving to the US wont make you a citizen, so you would reap no benefit.

Less technically, moving to the US can boost your chances. You'll be around those aiming for the same colleges as you so you'll be more motivated to do well and apply. You will have college counselors (most of whom aren't useful) that can give you college-choice advice. Your teachers will be American so will understand the crazy, convoluted application process which non-US teachers have to spend some time to get acquainted to - Brits simply arent used to it. You can also visit the colleges in person and talk to students on campus.

My opinion is that moving to the US won't be worth it. You need to focus on getting good grades, writing essays, sitting tests and applying instead of getting acclimatized to a new environment. Besides, the internet has gone leaps and bounds to help non-US applicants and their teachers navigate the entire process. There is literally so much info out there.
Original post by Marie T
I'm currently homeschooled but I plan to take my GCSE's early.I read moving to the U.S for a few years can boost your chances of getting into a good university .Since if I moved I wont have done A-levels, does it still apply?
C. Canada
For the university of toronto, what are the Mississauga, Scarborough and St. George things about? what is that?
Also, how do we create a login for the 2020 application for the ouac login? i can only find the 2019 login
Where did you take your sat in the uk I’m trying to figure it out but I don’t know
Search for SAT test centres in the UK, on googleWhen you are registering for the exam it will ask you where you want to take it, and give you a list of locations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending