Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone ,

I'm currently an A2 student and decided to do this blog to motivate myself to get A*AA so that I can do PPE at Oxford as well as to help others to not make the same mistakes as I did. I have not applied for Oxford this year due to my predictions being only ABB so I applied for other Russell Group uni's and awaiting for offers ( which I may accept/ decline) and instead do a banking internship for one year and re-apply to Oxford.

Universities I applied last Tuesday and waiting for responses:
    • Edinburgh: Politics and Philosophy- ABB. ( I meet the min. requirements) OFFER MADE
    • York:Politics and Philosophy- AAA-AAB OFFER MADE
    • LSE:Politics and Philosophy- AAA OFFER MADE
    • Exeter: Politics- AAB OFFER MADE
    • Leeds: Politics- AAB-BBB OFFER MADE

Subjects :
    • Media Studies- AQA- Predicted A
    • Government and Politics- Edexcel- Predicted B
    • English Literature B- AQA- Predicted B

AS Grades:
    • Media Studies- MEST 1: A MEST 2: B Overall: B
    • Gov+ Pol- Unit 1: D Unit 2: B Overall: C

As you can see, I am on the right track and a lot of work can be done to get to A*AA but I am ready to take on this challenge! Practically, I am self teaching and have the right mind set to persevere.

I will be posting weekly to give an overview of my week ( the successes and the failures) as well as any updates on UCAS + advice for anyone who does the same subjects as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophwintsxoxo)
    Hey Everyone ,

I'm currently an A2 student and decided to do this blog to motivate myself to get A*AA so that I can do PPE at Oxford as well as to help others to not make the same mistakes as I did. I have not applied for Oxford this year due to my predictions being only ABB so I applied for other Russell Group uni's and awaiting for offers ( which I may accept/ decline) and instead do a banking internship for one year and re-apply to Oxford.

Universities I applied last Tuesday and waiting for responses:
    • Edinburgh: Politics and Philosophy- ABB. ( I meet the min. requirements)
    • York:Politics and Philosophy- AAA-AAB
    • LSE:Politics and Philosophy- AAA
    • Exeter: Politics- AAB
    • Leeds: Politics- AAB-BBB

Subjects :
    • Media Studies- AQA- Predicted A
    • Government and Politics- Edexcel- Predicted B
    • English Literature B- AQA- Predicted B

AS Grades:
    • Media Studies- MEST 1: A MEST 2: B Overall: B
    • Gov+ Pol- Unit 1: D Unit 2: B Overall: C

As you can see, I am on the right track and a lot of work can be done to get to A*AA but I am ready to take on this challenge! Practically, I am self teaching and have the right mind set to persevere.

I will be posting weekly to give an overview of my week ( the successes and the failures) as well as any updates on UCAS + advice for anyone who does the same subjects as me.
    Good luck :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Good luck :yy:
    Thanks it's going to be a long journey... :')

ReputationRep:
    Will be watching this, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Will be watching this, good luck!
    Thank you, just about to post 1st revision strategy I use :')

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: Received an email from LSE saying that I'm on the first assessment stage and that "once this stage is complete your application will either require further assessment by the Admissions Selector, or you will receive a decision on your application" so fingers crossed...

REVISION TIP NO1:
    Before even committing to revise and what to revise and when, a habit that is really useful to boost revision productivity is doing memory checklist sheet grid tables on Word Docs ( this is a universal method for all subjects and will ensure you COVER EVERYTHING you need to learn but also it will get you into a routine of memorising and developing your revision to be remembered long term).

1) Go onto Word Doc.
    2) Look at other specs for your subject from exam board, google, school etc ( Break down what you have to learn for each UNIT)
    3) do a table with columns ( x7 sections as it takes 7 times to fully memorise something, I always do 10 to be on the safe side)
    4) Ensure you add column which says made notes/ read notes.
    5) Fill in the table and tick every time you memorise and add the dates.
    6) When memorising you have to revise it on the first day, then the 2nd, then the 4th, then next week, then in a month, then in 2 months etc... Or you can try to look at it everyday or every 2 days.

Attached is the ones I made for AS Media Studies ( MEST 1) and AS politics ( Unit 1 and 2), feel free to use it as a template . I believe this is what helped me to achieve a solid A in the Media Exam and in Unit 2 Politics
    I will post shortly the ones I have for A2 politics and A2 Media Studies
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx REVISION CHECK SHEETS.docx (12.0 KB, 93 views)
  2. File Type: docx REVISION CHECK SHEETS.docx (17.7 KB, 83 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks it's going to be a long journey... :')
    Haha no worries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: OFFER MADE- LEEDS (08/10/16) BA Politics
    OFFER MADE- YORK (10/10/16) BA Politics and Philosophy

WEEK 1 UPDATE

This week was a very stressful, busy week as I was doing internal exams which hopefully I will pass ( so far I've received a B in Unit 4B Politics). I will attach the revision plans I used for Liberalism 15 markers (Politics) as well as tragedy revision quote lists for English Literature B. Today, I will be completing politics essays hwk and constructing more English Lit revision resources. But I do have some cool apps that I use to help me get this work done as well as organise what to do!

MY APPS ( all free):

BE FOCUSED APP
    • Timer app that breaks down homeworks and revision into manageable 25 min chunks and 5 mins breaks. After an hour, you received a 15 min break.
    • Checklist of your tasks and you see how much time you've spent on it.

THE HW APP
    • Timetable of your week (lessons and hobbies)
    • To-do Checklists of homework, revision, all tasks in order of deadline
    • Gives reminders when to do tasks by.
    • Colour codes each subject and task to subject.
    • Graph of the workload
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    WOW your thread looks amazing !! Your work ethic is great and well done on those offers Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    WOW your thread looks amazing !! Your work ethic is great and well done on those offers Good luck xx
    Aw thank you hunny/ nisha- I love your name firstly and I really appreciate your comments x I wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you hunny/ nisha- I love your name firstly and I really appreciate your comments x I wish you all the best
    Aww haha it's not actually my name but it's my favourite name so yeh Aw thank you and you too xx

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: OFFER MADE- LEEDS (08/10/16) BA Politics
    OFFER MADE- YORK (10/10/16) BA Politics and Philosophy

WEEK 1 UPDATE

This week was a very stressful, busy week as I was doing internal exams which hopefully I will pass ( so far I've received a B in Unit 4B Politics). I will attach the revision plans I used for Liberalism 15 markers (Politics) as well as tragedy revision quote lists for English Literature B. Today, I will be completing politics essays hwk and constructing more English Lit revision resources. But I do have some cool apps that I use to help me get this work done as well as organise what to do!

MY APPS ( all free):

BE FOCUSED APP
    • Timer app that breaks down homeworks and revision into manageable 25 min chunks and 5 mins breaks. After an hour, you received a 15 min break.
    • Checklist of your tasks and you see how much time you've spent on it.

THE HW APP
    • Timetable of your week (lessons and hobbies)
    • To-do Checklists of homework, revision, all tasks in order of deadline
    • Gives reminders when to do tasks by.
    • Colour codes each subject and task to subject.
    • Graph of the workload
    :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww haha it's not actually my name but it's my favourite name so yeh Aw thank you and you too xx
    Aw aha well I think it's a very cool name :') xx

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: Haven't heard back from Exeter, LSE or Edinburgh yet. Wait is still on...

WEEK 2 UPDATE
    Last week was probably one of the worst weeks ever. Firstly, I had to miss all my lessons and be behind on work when I started to develop symptoms of flu which then advanced into Bronchitis. I am still ill, still feeling drained and barely can spend more than an hour on work before I start feeling tired or having migraines as well as muscles aching. My productivity inevitably went down to a 0, so no revision was done. Also, what did not help was not having my teachers respond to the communications I made throughout the week to establish what work I needed to catch up (typical issue at the school I attend).
    Towards the end of the week, personal **** occurred and that also consumed my mind for most of this weekend. In a way, I'm glad I can make a fresh start because I can finally grow as a person and allow my goals to not be sidetracked. Surprisingly, things did not get too awful that I needed to eat a whole bag of Maltesers or have Ben and Jerry's.

Today, I am going to give some psychological self-enhancing tips that scientifically work and that I'm going to start following, you can use it to do squats or pushups or reading or revision... It is a universal tip that will actually get you to do whatever you want to do in your life.

THE GOOD HABIT TO SUCCESS:
    1) You have to start with a version of the habit that is incredibly easy for you. It must be so easy that you can’t say no to doing it and so easy that it is not difficult at all in the beginning ( Example: to write 1 essay plan to a 15 marker a day for Politics or make a list of 5 quotes for Tragedy in English Lit everyday).

2) You have to increase your habit each day, but in an incredibly small way ( Example: The second time I make a list of 6 quotes for Tragedy in English lit and each day I increase it by one)

3) Even after increasing your habit, all repetitions must remain easy. The total habit should be broken down into easier pieces if needed (Example: I might want to do 1 essay plan for Unit 3B Politics and another one for Unit 4B Politics to make sure I don't neglect the topics, I will not do this all at once, but I will make time in the morning to do Unit 3B and in the afternoon I'll do Unit 4B)

Hope this helps- we can't always rely on motivation the same way we can't always rely on people.

Next week: I find out the rest of my results for my internal exams and will post my reactions, what went well, what I'm never going to ever do again etc...

ReputationRep:
    Bit late but congrats on the two offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Bit late but congrats on the two offers!
    Thank you, congrats on the Edinburgh offer hopefully I will get mine soon... Edinburgh is my 1st choice and keep up the excellent physics revision and past papers!

ReputationRep:
    Well done on those offers !!

ReputationRep:
    Well done on those offers !!
    Aw thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: Received an email from LSE saying that I've passed the first assessment stage and that my "application has been passed to the Admissions Selector for the BSc in Politics and Philosophy programme for further consideration." One more stage to go now!!

FIRST INTERNAL EXAMS UPDATE
    Today was back- to- work day and not only did I receive a workload that is currently going through the roof. I also got back my results back for Politics and English Lit.

Politics: Unit 3B- Received a 'C' grade and Unit 4B I received a 'B' grade. I honestly thought that I would have done better in liberalism seeing as I was spending more time on revision for it and making really colourful essay plans that took into account the examiner's feedback. I believe that the only reason why I got a higher grade for Unit 4B was due to me completing all the questions whereas in the other exam I didn't complete one of the 15 markers. WWW: I did a lot of detailed analysis and had a strong knowledge on thinkers, core themes, institutions and the ideology. Targets for next time: 1) Do timed answers to essay plans and build on this (both units) 2) Retype answers that got below a 12/15.

English Lit: Tragedy- Section A -> 14/25 (Band 3)
    Section B -> 12/25 (Band 3)
    Section C -> 15/25 (Band 3)

Crime- Section A -> 17/25 (Band 4)
    Section B -> 21/25 (Band 5)
    Section C- > Not marked yet

Again, I spent more time on Tragedy and managed to do better in crime. HOWEVER, whilst I put a lot of effort into Tragedy I did also revise crime and I have got a better teacher for crime so it is all down to how you are taught the genre/ crime. WWW: A very strong line of argument that is well supported with evidence and concepts ( A01), Language analysis is sophisticated in places and unpicks the weaving of question (A02), Genre study is focused and evaluative on drawing connections (A04), Debate engaging throughout (A05) Targets for next time: 1) More A03 ( historical context) in essay!! 2) Complete all questions and focus on building up completing the question in the time ( I tend to write way too much sometimes ) 3) Re-read texts and do more revision essay plans for Crime 4) Revision posters on Lear

ReputationRep:
    UCAS: No news means good news!

POST XMAS UPDATE SPECIAL
    Hey everybody, I want to apologise for my not-so-active blog during the buildup to Xmas. The festive period is my most peak time when I actually get the most work done. Whilst I have not been checking into TSR, I have done a lot of revision and to make it up, I'm going to share not 1, but 2 revision tasks that will get you the A for 2017.

1) MY POST-IT REVISION POSTERS:

POLITICS/HISTORY/SOCIOLOGY etc. whatever subject that requires you to memorise a lot of information, facts, quotes...
    • A4 size poster that is aesthetically beautiful, covers everything, perfect for effortless revision which you can use alone or with friends
    • Work alongside your specification, each post-it note represents condensed info for a sub-topic (i.e Functions of a political party, political left, definition of constitution etc), the a4 page represents a unit ( i.e Party Politics, Democracy, Judiciary, Parliament etc) Adapt to your own subject.
    • Put as many post-it notes as you need on the page, just cover everything and condense info!
    • The more colourful, the more you will look at it!
    • Do bullet lists, diagrams, the post-it notes should have as less words as possible.
    • Read aloud to memorise and then write on scrap piece of paper the info you read out OR ask a friend to check you when they can randomly pick a post-it note and you have to say what it is on it.
    • This method really works and only takes 30 mins to make ( I'm a perfectionist).

Name:  revision.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  406.9 KB

2) ESSAY PLANS FOR PAST PAPERS:

POLITICS/HISTORY/SOCIOLOGY etc. whatever subject that makes you right an essay for the exam...
    • A5 size (lined paper) that will make past paper questions in timed conditions no longer a nightmare!
    • Work alongside past paper questions for your exam board ( Politics- Edexcel) , each side represents a question and the year the question came from ( this will make you aware of recycled questions examiners use).
    • Make sure you know the essay layout for that subject ( my English essays are different to my Politics essays). Check with teacher!
    • My essay layout for AS politics: Intro, 1st Para ( Point, Examples, Explain, HOWEVER, Link back to the question and point) 2nd Para, 3rd Para + Conclusion.
    • Use a colour code for each different role ( i.e Green for my point, Red for my HOWEVER, Pink for examples)
    • I always use this method for past paper questions for politics as when I'm in the exam I remember my points and examples that I wrote for these.
    • When I'm doing timed condition exams, I use these as an aid. A challenge that I do after a week/ month is doing the same question without the essay plan but I tend to rely on it and the more times I use it the more I remember my plan which I use for the real exam.
    Attached Images

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.