Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry if this is off-topic I know colourblindness is not a disability, but I figured people here would know most about this *sort* of thing.

I am red-green colourblind and am applying for my first job and am wondering if I should declare my colourblindness even if they don't ask for it. I know disablities and learning disabilities should be declared, but colourblindness isn't classed as any of those, but i've still seen forms before list it as an example in the 'disabilities' section.

If it's absolutely not a reason to fire someone then i'd rather not list it, for various reasons... mainly due to how poorly understood it is and how tiny of an impact it has on my day to day life, yet employers might assume it will and fail to understand that virtually every 'problem' it causes me has a workaround. But I'd rather be on the safe side if it is grounds to penalize someone if they are later discovered to be colourblind and didn't declare it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by The Racist Dragon)
    Hi sorry if this is off-topic I know colourblindness is not a disability, but I figured people here would know most about this *sort* of thing.

I am red-green colourblind and am applying for my first job and am wondering if I should declare my colourblindness even if they don't ask for it. Could it be grounds to fire me if I am discovered to be colourblind later on and didn't declare it despite them not asking? (hypothetically speaking - i know it's probably unlikely they actually would but i want to be on the safe side) I know disablities and learning disabilities should be declared, but colourblindness isn't classed as any of those, but i've still seen forms before list it as an example in the 'disabilities' section.
    You don't have to declare if you don't want to,you just can't bring them up on it for not making adjustments later on if they didn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You don't have to declare if you don't want to,you just can't bring them up on it for not making adjustments later on if they didn't know.
    ok brilliant, thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Would it cause a problem I the line of work you're going in to?

ReputationRep:

I am red-green colourblind and am applying for my first job and am wondering if I should declare my colourblindness even if they don't ask for it. I know disablities and learning disabilities should be declared, but colourblindness isn't classed as any of those, but i've still seen forms before list it as an example in the 'disabilities' section.

If it's absolutely not a reason to fire someone then i'd rather not list it, for various reasons... mainly due to how poorly understood it is and how tiny of an impact it has on my day to day life, yet employers might assume it will and fail to understand that virtually every 'problem' it causes me has a workaround. But I'd rather be on the safe side if it is grounds to penalize someone if they are later discovered to be colourblind and didn't declare it.
    I think the only case you have/should to, is e.g. in case you are working as a electrician and have to be able to differentiate between different colors to not create a safety risk by connecting the false cables. (Hence in a case, where you willingly risk the health and life of others.) {Just a random example.}
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    As above, it's not something you have to declare, except in a few very specific work areas, like electrical work (I think some branches of engineering). Most jobs where colour vision is an issue do colour blindness testing, as it is possible to not realise your colour vision isn't normal. For your normal, everyday office based job though, it's not an issue and not something you need to declare.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've never mentioned it officially. It has come up in passing when it has been an issue. But unlike the issues mentioned in this thread, it's not been a health and safety issue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.