The Student Room Group

What should I do?

There's this one teacher who I find really helpful (he wrote a reference for me, he helps me with personal problems, we both share deep interest in the same subject, and he's really friendly) so I was thinking of giving him a gift (a box of chocolates) as a thank you gift.

However, when I bought the chocolates, my parents asked me who they were for, so I honestly told them. Then they said that I shouldn't give them to him, as it would make me look like a teacher's pet, and it would look suspicious. They even said that if he accepted the gift, they would report him. I don't even have a crush on him! I simply am just grateful for what he's done and think that he deserves some sort of gift.

I really don't know what to do, because I want him to know that I appreciate everything that he's done for me. Is it really that bad to give presents to teachers?

(I only posted this on the relationships section because I wanted it to be anonymous)
I don't see anything wrong with it in itself and it seems as though your parents are being unreasonable.

To avoid problems I'd advice you to give him a card and a thank you in person.
Original post by Anonymous
There's this one teacher who I find really helpful (he wrote a reference for me, he helps me with personal problems, we both share deep interest in the same subject, and he's really friendly) so I was thinking of giving him a gift (a box of chocolates) as a thank you gift.

However, when I bought the chocolates, my parents asked me who they were for, so I honestly told them. Then they said that I shouldn't give them to him, as it would make me look like a teacher's pet, and it would look suspicious. They even said that if he accepted the gift, they would report him. I don't even have a crush on him! I simply am just grateful for what he's done and think that he deserves some sort of gift.

I really don't know what to do, because I want him to know that I appreciate everything that he's done for me. Is it really that bad to give presents to teachers?

(I only posted this on the relationships section because I wanted it to be anonymous)

Idiots, they're the fools who make it look suspicious, all ppl do these days is assume and assume with no real hard solid evidence.

That's just petty. There's no point, it's barely any importance whatsoever, just a small dam gift, dam can people not even say thank you these days without offending someone?

No it's no it, it's called some well deserved dam thanks to the teacher who spent their time to help you. Can't see the problem there.
Reply 3
wtf, i dont see anything wrong with giving a box of chocolates :s-smilie:
but if your parents said theyd report him if he acccepted it, then id suggest doing what the first post said, give him a card, especially the one with the whole "teacher..." stuff, just to take off those suspicions
or just tell your teacher you really appreciate everything he did to you and stuff, you dont have to express your gratitude through chocolates or a card, you can express it with words and that would be way less "suspicious"
Reply 4
Honestly, i'd give him one of them thank you cards... you dont want to give the wrong impressions.
Reply 5
We all give our teachers presents in my school?? I don't think it's that weird?
Although to be fair it's normally a group present from the class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending