Turn on thread page Beta

Accepted a part-time job but got offered an interview for a better job? HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I graduated from university last year. I worked in a school working as an admin for about 10 months on a fixed term contract which ended in September.
    I had been applying to jobs related to my degree while working there but with no luck
    I've been unemployed since September now and I'm really depressed about not being able to find a grad job. I thought I might as well earn some money while looking for a grad job so I applied for a part-time position in a retail shop.
    I got offered the job and I've accepted it (haven't signed a contract though).
    However, I have now been invited to an interview for a grad job which I really
    want!
    I have no idea what to do! Should I decline my current offer and attend the interview?
    Or start working at the job and attend the other interview anyway? Would I be able to leave this job if I get accepted for the other one?
    I know how competitive graduate jobs can be so there's no guarantee I'll get it.
    Help!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Look into the details of your part time job contract - there should be some info there about how much notice you need to give, e.g. one months notice. If it's pretty short, there shouldn't be an issue really since you'll have time between accepting the new job and handing in your notice for the part time one.

Just being offered an interview is no guarantee you'll get the grad job though and the part time job is still something to bring in some money, keep you motivated and give you something to put on your CV if it's a while until the next job interview comes around.

So yeah, I'd say double check the part time job contract but you're probably best off accepting it and seeing how the grad job interview goes Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Accept the job and attend the grad job interview. Leave the previous job if you're offered the grad one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    Accept the job and attend the grad job interview. Leave the previous job if you're offered the grad one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This -^

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.