Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am currently a first year student at Portsmouth uni but I'm not really enjoying my time here even though I enjoy the course.

Is it possible to re-apply to a different university to start from year one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginge1030)
    Hi!
    I am currently a first year student at Portsmouth uni but I'm not really enjoying my time here even though I enjoy the course.

Yes it is. Student Finance give you one "grace" year of funding for just this situation. However if you end up having to re-take a year at your new uni you won't get SF for it and would have to fund it yourself (including tuition fees).

Be aware that the current year will leave you with extra Student Finance debt and depending on when you leave, you may have to repay some of your Maintenance Loan immediately instead of via deductions from future earnings. Get advice from your Student Union before committing to leave.

Make sure you understand why you don't like your current uni and be sure that it won't be the same at a new uni. You only get one chance to start again from scratch, so wherever you go next is where you will have to complete your degree unless money is no object.

ReputationRep:
    As said previously, you would lose one year of student finance funding (meaning that you wouldn't be funded if you needed to retake a year, essentially). I had to do the same thing this year, and will hopefully be much happier at a different university next year. A suggestion I've been given is to, once my offers have come through, go to the universities and spend some time trying to see myself living there- basically just being super careful about the choice.

(Original post by ginge1030)
    Hi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerspeakers)
    As said previously, you would lose one year of student finance funding (meaning that you wouldn't be funded if you needed to retake a year, essentially). I had to do the same thing this year, and will hopefully be much happier at a different university next year. A suggestion I've been given is to, once my offers have come through, go to the universities and spend some time trying to see myself living there- basically just being super careful about the choice.
    If in case of reapplying , do you have to apply via UCAS with a new personal statement or do you just contact the new university direct ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elayne429)
    If in case of reapplying , do you have to apply via UCAS with a new personal statement or do you just contact the new university direct ?
    You need to go via UCAS as an independent applicant, and go through the full application process, although there's no harm in contacting prospective unis to check that they would consider you. Getting your name on the radar might be useful.

Start working out who you will ask for an academic reference. A sympathetic member of staff from your first uni course would be better than a former school teacher. Your new uni will want to understand what went wrong first time round and that it has been resolved - your referee should be able to do that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.