Turn on thread page Beta

My Grades so far are like E's and Ds, year 12s, year 13s help me please. watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I am in year 12, doing Bio Chem and Physics. Got an A in Bio Gcse and an A* in Chem Gcses and an A in physics Gcses. Did a couple of tests recently and I got all Es and Ds in those subjects. What are your tips, like what can i do to improve. And do you think there is time to improve since we are now in November and the real exams are just a corner away.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshstart123)
    Okay so I am in year 12, doing Bio Chem and Physics. Got an A in Bio Gcse and an A* in Chem Gcses and an A in physics Gcses. Did a couple of tests recently and I got all Es and Ds in those subjects. What are your tips, like what can i do to improve. And do you think there is time to improve since we are now in November and the real exams are just a corner away.
    Im also in Year 12, and i started off like this but now i'm getting B's. I think its a gradual process and its because we are being tested straight away, the grades aren't so good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    Im also in Year 12, and i started off like this but now i'm getting B's. I think its a gradual process and its because we are being tested straight away, the grades aren't so good
    Do you think we are still considered early in the year?

Do you think we are still considered early in the year?
    Aye, if you feel like you aren't doing as well, look back on past tests and see where you went wrong and attempt the paper again. If you're unsure about anything, however big or small it maybe, just ask your teacher.

For the sciences, I'd recommend doing past paper questions (still use them if you're doing the new spec) when you've finished a topic in class. Say you might have finished Particle physics and before moving on, ensure you have understood the topic and done questions on it for practise and try to keep consistent throughout the year.

Good luck! Don't give up and keep working on it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 & I do physics.

Most people were getting Ds and Es last year, so don't worry about it! I think it's because you have to get used to the new exam structure. At GCSE, questions were laid out the same each year (so with a bit of practise, you find the papers pretty repetitive) and you could get away with being pretty vague in your answers. I think it also helps at A Level to have a breadth of knowledge (especially for the breadth paper lol) but sometimes the topics have slight overlap/build on existing knowledge, & bringing it all together helps make sense of the question. We did hardly any papers at school last year, so although most of us knew quite a bit of it we couldn't form an answer out of that knowledge/understand the question.

In a nutshell, just give it a bit of time so the knowledge sinks in and you learn more. I've rambled on so much here (sorry!) but the A Level sciences are hard and it may take some time (and lots of practise) for the knowledge to fully concrete.

You have exams soon?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position, except much worse off aha. I take physics, maths and English literature, receiving Us-Es in physics, Es-Cs in maths, and Cs-Bs in English. All the advice I have received is the same: study your ass off. Whatever revision works, just do it.

My sixth form's recommendation is for every hour you spend in lesson, spend an hour outside of lesson doing independent study. I have 15 hours of lessons per week, so should be doing 15 hours of study outside of lessons (on top of homework)

Hope you manage to pick it up

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when I started yr 12 I got a D in chemistry. I was shocked because I got good GCSE grades and I never got below a B before if I didn't revise for GCSE tests. Which is why I ended up not revising for the exams... What I've realised it is SO much harder! The content is different, the format of the questions, the type of questions that they ask and the amount you need to learn THOROUGHLY. I recently did another test in chem and got a B- all I did was work harder! I've realised that you really do have to work for a levels if you want good grades; it is not like GCSE! You WILL improve (and it is still pretty early in the school year. Best of luck!x
    Spoiler:
    Show

Btw what exam board do you do for chem? I do OCR A.

ReputationRep:
    No need to panic -- I went from a U to an A in the space of 8 months in AS, with the new spec in OCR A. Revising early is good but not a must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    No need to panic -- I went from a U to an A in the space of 8 months in AS, with the new spec in OCR A. Revising early is good but not a must.
    Wow that is so amazing, what subject was this in. And every teacher told me oh you are getting bad grades now you will never get a good grade in the summer. And do you think November is still early in the year like is there still time to improve?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is so amazing, what subject was this in. And every teacher told me oh you are getting bad grades now you will never get a good grade in the summer. And do you think November is still early in the year like is there still time to improve?
    This was in chemistry -- getting a low grade now doesn't correlate with future performance at all. Starting now is fine, not hardcore but light revision throughout the year should make remembering things a lot easier.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.