Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I achieved ABC in the subjects I wish to carry on next year - Product Design, Geography and English Lang. Now I know I can achieve better than this! With retakes I'll be able to bring this up to AAB at least *prays* by retaking 2 units - one from geography and one from english lang.

Now the policy at my sixth form is that they do not offer January resits; they all have to be taken in June. However to ease the pressure of me I'm very determined to retake in January! Is there any way of sitting these retakes out of my sixth form? like somewhere else? I am really against sitting in June!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unseen_ Angel)
    Well I achieved ABC in the subjects I wish to carry on next year - Product Design, Geography and English Lang. Now I know I can achieve better than this! With retakes I'll be able to bring this up to AAB at least *prays* by retaking 2 units - one from geography and one from english lang.

Now the policy at my sixth form is that they do not offer January resits; they all have to be taken in June. However to ease the pressure of me I'm very determined to retake in January! Is there any way of sitting these retakes out of my sixth form? like somewhere else? I am really against sitting in June!

Cheers
    Hey there

EDIT: Read Mustard-mans advice below for information on registering as a private candidate but the rest of my advice is gold lol

I think your school has a rather ridiculous policy :mad: The main advantage of the A-Level modular system is that you get to take exams at different times and thus even out the pressure and, even, retake more than once.

I would recommend that you go to your exams office and offer to pay for your exams yourself- the way to our exam officers heart is through his wallet :rolleyes: - and then go to your head of sixth form and explain the situation to him/her. I'm pretty sure that so long as you present your argument properly and assure your teacher you will be giving the exam all your effort they will be fine with it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Sit as a private candidate at a centre which accepts private candidate sittings. I see you live in London, there's a place called Campbell Harris in Kensington High Street which does it. You need to use the same UCI number and know the relevant subject and unit codes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavis2)
    I'm not 100% about this but i'm not too sure that you can register with more than one centre at the same time. You would only be allowed to register as an external candidate if you don't currently go to a sixth form or college.
    No. I was registered to three centres last year for the January exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    No. I was registered to three centres last year for the January exams.
    Cool, i wasn't aware of that. So you took all your exams at three different centres? That must have been hard so you did really well considering

I prefer to take all my exams at my school, i just feel more comfortable there i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leavis2)
    Cool, i wasn't aware of that. So you took all your exams at three different centres? That must have been hard so you did really well considering

I prefer to take all my exams at my school, i just feel more comfortable there i suppose
    Yeah, my school didn't allow resits in January as well, but they allowed June ones! :rolleyes: So yeah, I had a couple of exams at my school, and at two other centres. I registered for one, then found another centre charged much less, so I registered the rest there! It wasn't much hassle, in the sense that all the centres were in riding distances.

I didn't do that bad at AS as it may sound (from resits). Quite a few of the resits were just improving high Bs / low As. If I hadn't resat C1 and improve it from 81/100 to 91/100, I would have narrowly missed out the A I got for it for A-level. So every little counts! My teacher thought I was crazy resitting an A, proved her wrong :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Sit as a private candidate at a centre which accepts private candidate sittings. I see you live in London, there's a place called Campbell Harris in Kensington High Street which does it. You need to use the same UCI number and know the relevant subject and unit codes.
    You are a flipping life saver!
    Thank you very much

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.