The Student Room Group

How on earth does CAO exist???

Hi everone,

Just decided to apply to Trinity College Dublin through CAO (in addition to universities in the UK).

The thing is that I don't understand a single thing about this process. I'll sit a national qualification from a EU country, but apart from mentioning it, I can't add predicted grades or stuffs like that! I can't add English Language Certification, I can't add some kind of a cover letter or personal statement, I can't add any of the two referees required.

It's just so confusing and complicated, I hate it.

Thanks to anyone who could help me :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! I'm a Northern Irish student who will also be applying through CAO. My understanding is that you don't need a personal statement or references to apply through CAO - you also don't enter your predicted grades because, unlike UCAs, courses don't make you a conditional offer based on your grades. Rather, the offer is not made until after you get your A Level results, at which point you contact the college and see if they will admit you.
Reply 2
Original post by smc720
Hi! I'm a Northern Irish student who will also be applying through CAO. My understanding is that you don't need a personal statement or references to apply through CAO - you also don't enter your predicted grades because, unlike UCAs, courses don't make you a conditional offer based on your grades. Rather, the offer is not made until after you get your A Level results, at which point you contact the college and see if they will admit you.

Oooh! Really? Oh that's a funny way to proceed, but actually intelligent. I regret the title I've given to this thread :smile: Oh now I get it... But on their website, you have some kind of a demo where there are boxes to describe your hobbies, etc? Does it come after or before the results of A levels, etc? And I've also seen in this "demo" that you are required to give the contact details of two referees...
And you really don't need a personal statement?

Anyway, thank you so much! I'm applying from France so I'm absolutely not familiar with CAO :smile:
Reply 3
Hey !

I am french, lived in Ireland for two years and I have been trough the CAO process, so If you want help just ask me !
Je sais que le CAO est super bizarre haha :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by luminiou
Hey !

I am french, lived in Ireland for two years and I have been trough the CAO process, so If you want help just ask me !
Je sais que le CAO est super bizarre haha :wink:

Oh God I meet French everywhere here :smile: I feel like we're invading TSR

Mais en tout cas merci, et pardonne-moi mais je pense que je vais te poser pas mal de questions :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending