Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview later this month for an internship with Skanska that offers reimbursement of "reasonable" travel expenses (no upper limit specified). Unfortunately thanks to our wonderful privatised rail services, the cost including sleeper train, tube, rail then taxi is going to be around £220. Flights although cheaper aren't an option as it would be a struggle to get to Rickmansworth from central London on time.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with reimbursement of high travel costs? I've chosen standard class for everything so I think it's fair to call it 'reasonable', however I'm now a bit worried after reading about Deloitte only reimbursing up to £100 for example.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Most places won't reimburse you a penny. I've spent an absolute fortune on travelling to interviews haven't got a penny back.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by foxo)
    I have an interview later this month for an internship with Skanska that offers reimbursement of "reasonable" travel expenses (no upper limit specified). Unfortunately thanks to our wonderful privatised rail services, the cost including sleeper train, tube, rail then taxi is going to be around £220. Flights although cheaper aren't an option as it would be a struggle to get to Rickmansworth from central London on time.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with reimbursement of high travel costs? I've chosen standard class for everything so I think it's fair to call it 'reasonable', however I'm now a bit worried after reading about Deloitte only reimbursing up to £100 for example.
    Contact and confirm with HR. Show them the options and prices. You should also look at the option of going there the day before.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sr90)
    Most places won't reimburse you a penny. I've spent an absolute fortune on travelling to interviews haven't got a penny back.
    Funny that when I used to do it I would almost certainly get money back. depends on organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Do you mean most do not offer to reimburse, or that you have had claims refused in the past?

I currently work in the public sector so interview expenses are the norm, I have never bothered claiming before though as anything under £20 will make you look like a massive cheapskate. This time is different as I am travelling from Fife to Herefordshire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Contact and confirm with HR. Show them the options and prices. You should also look at the option of going there the day before.
    Unfortunately I have already paid sleeper ticket (no refunds) so kind of shot myself in the foot there. I didn't expect the train back to be so costly though. Might look into flying back instead.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by foxo)
    Unfortunately I have already paid sleeper ticket (no refunds) so kind of shot myself in the foot there. I didn't expect the train back to be so costly though. Might look into flying back instead.
    Isnt the return sleeper cheaper than two singles?
    Just ring HR. they might be totally fine or they might be mean.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by foxo)
    Do you mean most do not offer to reimburse, or that you have had claims refused in the past?

I currently work in the public sector so interview expenses are the norm, I have never bothered claiming before though as anything under £20 will make you look like a massive cheapskate. This time is different as I am travelling from Fife to Herefordshire.
    Nobody's ever offered The worst one was when I had a first stage interview with Merrill Lynch which was a video interview, they made me go all the way up to their office in Chester which was £90 on the train. The guy interviewing me was really apologetic and said he'd speak to HR as he didn't understand why I wasn't sent to London. Never heard anything back.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt the return sleeper cheaper than two singles?
    Just ring HR. they might be totally fine or they might be mean.
    No discount on return believe it or not, which is good as I'd rather get back home on the same night anyway.

I think I might just go with it, I'm a bit apprehensive to keep emailing HR as I had a few difficulties arranging the initial Skype interview and I don't want to come across as a pain in the arse. Plus I just checked and if I was to claim the car mileage option instead at 45 pence a mile that would be £375, so in comparison to that it's pretty good value!

(Original post by sr90)
    Nobody's ever offered The worst one was when I had a first stage interview with Merrill Lynch which was a video interview, they made me go all the way up to their office in Chester which was £90 on the train. The guy interviewing me was really apologetic and said he'd speak to HR as he didn't understand why I wasn't sent to London. Never heard anything back.
    Ouch! Sorry mate, that's hard luck. You'd think Merrill Lynch would be better than that, they're pretty prestigious after all.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not what i would have done. Why would you ask if you were going ahead with things anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Not what i would have done. Why would you ask if you were going ahead with things anyway?
    If you look back my question was "if anyone has had any issues with reimbursement of high travel costs?", not "should I go ahead and spend x on travel costs?" - as I have already paid for a non-refundable train ticket there's not much I can do to change anything now.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.