The Student Room Group

Problems facing blue chip companys

Hi there,
im needing to do a 15min presentation and im not too sure where to research on the topic required..
the topis is to talk about a blue chip company that has had to implement changes to overcome a difficult trading period. What went wrong? How did they get around it? And the problems blue chip companies may face over the next 5 years.

I will need to have a few diagrams and figures.

does anyone know where to start? i've looked at bbc news and yahoo and cant really find anything. I've checked the economist.com but you have to pay for content!

many thanks for any help at all
Reply 1
Ok - here's my starter for ten:

Try:
Hoovers.com for company info
bized.org (I think) for bus and econ info.
economist.com for companies and markets info.

If you want companies in trouble, I'd go for retailers first and foremost. They've been having lots of problems. Try BHS and how Philip Green sorted it out. Or perhaps Woolworths and the troubles they had.

Others might be big consultancies/accountancy firms post Enron and how they dealt with this. Or perhaps telecoms firms struggling with making money out of 3g?

As long as you explain your interpretation of the phrase 'difficult trading period' so that they can see your logic you should be fine. I'd say falling sales or profits would fit the bill.

Also another handy hint - try to put only key bullet points on your slides. If they are too busy, you will be tempted to read from them, and that is never a good thing in a presentation. Keep it simple!

Good luck
Lizzylou
Reply 2
D'oh - you've tried the economist. Try Mckinsey quarterly - there's a link on mckinsey.com

Latest

Trending

Trending