Turn on thread page Beta

My girlfriend gets really anxious and worried and I'm not sure how to cope watch

She has anxiety problems, and sometimes will get worried constantly - i mean lasting weeks on end. I want to cheer her up but it makes me unhappy too sometimes, when she gets really bad (worrying about going to University for example) and I find it difficult to be happy. I have to pretend, and I have to worry about saying the wrong thing in case it disappoints her or makes her unhappy. It is really hard to deal with - what should I do?
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She has anxiety problems, and sometimes will get worried constantly - i mean lasting weeks on end. I want to cheer her up but it makes me unhappy too sometimes, when she gets really bad (worrying about going to University for example) and I find it difficult to be happy. I have to pretend, and I have to worry about saying the wrong thing in case it disappoints her or makes her unhappy. It is really hard to deal with - what should I do?
    Thanks
    Do you know if she's ever spoken to a professional about it? You could try to encourage her to speak to her universities counselling service.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Hey, this is a really big part of her life which, as you probably know, she can't switch off. If you want to be with her, this is part of the package. However, it can be really exhausting to be in a relationship with someone who has mental health problems so you need to make sure you're looking after yourself. Her happiness, her recovery, her coping isn't your responsibility. It can be difficult if you feel under pressure to always make her feel better but you can only do you best, it's up to her and maybe a professional to sort this out. Maybe you need someone to talk to about this; have you tried talking to her about it in a sensitive way?

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Do you know if she's ever spoken to a professional about it? You could try to encourage her to speak to her universities counselling service.
    She has seen someone, at CAMHS and they talked things through but she didnt find it that helpful and still struggles to manage her anxiety

(Original post by nverjvlev)
    Hey, this is a really big part of her life which, as you probably know, she can't switch off. If you want to be with her, this is part of the package. However, it can be really exhausting to be in a relationship with someone who has mental health problems so you need to make sure you're looking after yourself. Her happiness, her recovery, her coping isn't your responsibility. It can be difficult if you feel under pressure to always make her feel better but you can only do you best, it's up to her and maybe a professional to sort this out. Maybe you need someone to talk to about this; have you tried talking to her about it in a sensitive way?
    We have talked about it and sometimes she isn't okay and sometimes she is. She isn't very good at trying things to improve her anxiety (like meditation), but that's understandable I suppose, and I try to help her as much as possible and just don't like seeing her upset
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    She has seen someone, at CAMHS and they talked things through but she didnt find it that helpful and still struggles to manage her anxiety
    You could see if peer support groups exist in your area,speaking to people who have gone through similar things could be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    If she's stressing over uni, then that's bound to cause lots of worry.
    Don't worry about it, and get her to do some excersice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.