Turn on thread page Beta

Motivating myself to get A*AA (or more) watch

ReputationRep:

My Journey to A*AA (or above) in Humanities and an English degree

The idea of doing this kind of terrifies me but I hope it'll give me the motivation to actually work towards getting the grades I want.

A little bit about me: My name's Charlie, I'm currently in Year 13 studying A Level English Literature, History and Psychology. A few of my favourite authors are Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, and I talk a lot about female characters in literature. I'm hoping to study English at university, but I'll go into that later

GCSE Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

A* - English lit, English lang, History, Maths, German and General Studies
    A - RE, Music, Core Science, Additional Science
    B - Drama

I'm pretty proud of my GCSE results and I'm hoping to feel the same about my A Level results!

AS Levels:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I didn't actually take any AS Levels as all my courses are on the new spec, and my school decided not to enter us for them. I did get AAA in my end of year exams with over 90% in all three.

A Level predictions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A* - English Literature (Edexcel)
    A* - History (Edexcel)
    A* - Psychology (AQA)

Topics I'm studying:
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Lit - Frankenstein, The Handmaid's Tale, Measure for Measure, A Streetcar Named Desire, Post 2000 poetry, Christina Rossetti, Coursework on Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby
    History - Germany and West Germany 1918-1989, Fascist Italy 1911-1946, British Empire 1763-1914, The Cold War 1945-52 (Coursework) (these are all rough dates, I can't remember off the top of my head)
    Psychology - Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology, Research Methods, Gender, Aggression, Schizophrenia, Issues and Debates, Biopsychology
    EPQ - Jane Austen's female antagonists

What I'm hoping for:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A*AA - this is hopefully the highest grades I will be asked for by a uni (Cambridge)

I feel I could get an A* in any one of my subjects, depending on what the exams are like and what questions are asked, therefore I'm working as if I can get an A* in all of them.

Also an A or A* in EPQ

University aspirations:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm hoping to study English - my top choice is Cambridge, and I've also applied to Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton and Royal Holloway

If I get an offer from Cambridge, that will be my firm and Birmingham likely will be my insurance
    If I don't get an offer, Birmingham will be my firm

University Application so far

Queens' College, Cambridge - A*AA interview on 6th December
    Birmingham - AAB - unconditional if I firm
    Nottingham - AAA - unconditional if I firm
    Royal Holloway - AAB - unconditional if I firm
    Southampton - ABB - contextual offer due to school performance

Targets for November:
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Start revision of Year 1 History work
    - Get an interview invitation for Cambridge (fingers crossed)
    - Get notes complete on Psychology Year 2 topics so far
    - Start writing Coursework for History
    - Begin writing EPQ
    - Finish notes on Frankenstein and begin notes on Handmaid's Tale for English

Results so far:
    Spoiler:
    Show

57/60 in English lit coursework - potentially can go up if I cut it down to under the word count

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie_rhia_x)

My Journey to A*AA (or above) in Humanities and an English degree

The idea of doing this kind of terrifies me but I hope it'll give me the motivation to actually work towards getting the grades I want.

A little bit about me: My name's Charlie, I'm currently in Year 13 studying A Level English Literature, History and Psychology. A few of my favourite authors are Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, and I talk a lot about female characters in literature. I'm hoping to study English at university, but I'll go into that later

GCSE Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

A* - English lit, English lang, History, Maths, German and General Studies
    A - RE, Music, Core Science, Additional Science
    B - Drama

I'm pretty proud of my GCSE results and I'm hoping to feel the same about my A Level results!

AS Levels:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I didn't actually take any AS Levels as all my courses are on the new spec, and my school decided not to enter us for them. I did get AAA in my end of year exams with over 90% in all three.

A Level predictions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A* - English Literature (Edexcel)
    A* - History (Edexcel)
    A* - Psychology (AQA)

Topics I'm studying:
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Lit - Frankenstein, The Handmaid's Tale, Measure for Measure, A Streetcar Named Desire, Post 2000 poetry, Christina Rossetti, Coursework on Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby
    History - Germany and West Germany 1918-1989, Fascist Italy 1911-1946, British Empire 1763-1914, The Cold War 1945-52 (Coursework) (these are all rough dates, I can't remember off the top of my head)
    Psychology - Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology, Research Methods, Gender, Aggression, Schizophrenia, Issues and Debates, Biopsychology
    EPQ - Jane Austen's female antagonists

What I'm hoping for:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A*AA - this is hopefully the highest grades I will be asked for by a uni (Cambridge)

I feel I could get an A* in any one of my subjects, depending on what the exams are like and what questions are asked, therefore I'm working as if I can get an A* in all of them.

Also an A or A* in EPQ

University aspirations:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm hoping to study English - my top choice is Cambridge, and I've also applied to Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton and Royal Holloway

If I get an offer from Cambridge, that will be my firm and Birmingham likely will be my insurance
    If I don't get an offer, Birmingham will be my firm

University Application so far

Queens' College, Cambridge - A*AA - applied, sat admissions test (ELAT)
    Birmingham - AAB - unconditional if I firm
    Nottingham - AAA - unconditional if I firm
    Royal Holloway - AAB - unconditional if I firm
    Southampton - ABB - contextual offer due to school performance

Targets for November:
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Start revision of Year 1 History work
    - Get an interview invitation for Cambridge (fingers crossed)
    - Get notes complete on Psychology Year 2 topics so far
    - Start writing Coursework for History
    - Begin writing EPQ
    - Finish notes on Frankenstein and begin notes on Handmaid's Tale for English

Results so far:
    Spoiler:
    Show

57/60 in English lit coursework - potentially can go up if I cut it down to under the word count
    What are your tips for psychology I want to get an A* aswell!
    And how you said get your psychology A2 topics do you mean all your notes done for the whole of A2 psychology?
    How have your structured your As and A2 revision ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    What are your tips for psychology I want to get an A* aswell!
    And how you said get your psychology A2 topics do you mean all your notes done for the whole of A2 psychology?
    How have your structured your As and A2 revision ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By notes I basically copy out the textbook in different colours to make sure I know everything completely. I then make flash cards for each topic and evaluation, then put it all into a mind map! I've also been writing 16 mark essays for each topic

At this point in the year I'm mostly just making sure I understand the content of everything

ReputationRep:
    By notes I basically copy out the textbook in different colours to make sure I know everything completely. I then make flash cards for each topic and evaluation, then put it all into a mind map! I've also been writing 16 mark essays for each topic

At this point in the year I'm mostly just making sure I understand the content of everything
    That's awesome how much revision do you do a day like hours?
    And what topic are you on now we've nearly finished stress then moving onto aggression

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome how much revision do you do a day like hours?
    And what topic are you on now we've nearly finished stress then moving onto aggression

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on the day, on a school day I'll usually do about 2 hours in my frees then 2 or 3 hours at home

On weekends I try and do about 6 hours! You?

We've got one more topic in aggression then we're moving onto schizophrenia

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_0309.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  351.8 KB

Started Year 1 History revision today! I've done Weimar politics so far, hopefully can do a bit more tonight

ReputationRep:
    This weekend I've written nine 16 mark essays for psychology - one for every topic in aggression, apart from the last one which we haven't yet covered.

I'm hoping to score quite well in them, though I imagine my teacher won't be too eager to mark nine essays 😂

ReputationRep:
    This weekend I've written nine 16 mark essays for psychology - one for every topic in aggression, apart from the last one which we haven't yet covered.

I'm hoping to score quite well in them, though I imagine my teacher won't be too eager to mark nine essays 😂
    Dayummmm!!! 9 essays how long does it take to do 1 essay? And awesome you've started on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dayummmm!!! 9 essays how long does it take to do 1 essay? And awesome you've started on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    About half an hour which is too long but I figure it's best to get the content done first! and thank you, i'm feeling quite happy with how productive i've been

ReputationRep:
    About half an hour which is too long but I figure it's best to get the content done first! and thank you, i'm feeling quite happy with how productive i've been
    Keep it up! I have biology work todo - leggo😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep it up! I have biology work todo - leggo😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck! What else do you do apart from psychology and biology?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! What else do you do apart from psychology and biology?
    Thankyou! & I do sociology aswell basically all the heavy content subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do sociology aswell basically all the heavy content subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ouch that doesn't sound fun! Are you applying for uni?

ReputationRep:
    07/11/2016

I haven't done much work today because I've been really tired, kind of annoyed about that but hopefully tomorrow will go better!

Unless watching University Challenge counts as work ...

ReputationRep:
    Ouch that doesn't sound fun! Are you applying for uni?
    Yeah I know! And yep I'm applying for Birmingham / Aston / Manchester a science course

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know! And yep I'm applying for Birmingham / Aston / Manchester a science course
    I applied to Birmingham too!! I might see you there, good luck with your application!!

ReputationRep:
    I got my marks back from a psychology test we did on part of aggression today and I got 24/25 - my teacher laughed about the fact that the only thing I got wrong was the multiple choice

Feeling pretty good about that!! I was worried about the test as it was the day after my ELAT and I hadn't had much time to revise

ReputationRep:
    I got my marks back from a psychology test we did on part of aggression today and I got 24/25 - my teacher laughed about the fact that the only thing I got wrong was the multiple choice

Feeling pretty good about that!! I was worried about the test as it was the day after my ELAT and I hadn't had much time to revise
    That's so awesome! I have my test on the whole of stress next week! I hope it goes all well!
    How did you revise for this? did you just to 16 markers which helped you?
    congrats too!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Birmingham too!! I might see you there, good luck with your application!!
    oooo omg! & thank you! yours too

ReputationRep:
    That's so awesome! I have my test on the whole of stress next week! I hope it goes all well!
    How did you revise for this? did you just to 16 markers which helped you?
    congrats too!
    Thank you so much!! I mainly used mind maps for that test!! Good luck with yours, I have one on all of aggression too 😭

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.