emilylashley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm currently completing my EPQ and need to find a wide variety of opinions on my topic I love reading and have decided to write an essay about the hidden racism in children Literature. I have already looked at authors like Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl, however would love to know of any more.

I would also love to hear your ideas on: Should we still read books written by Enid Blyton despite the racism nature to some of her stories such as the ******** in Toytown ?, Why racism in children books was accepted at the time? Is discussing racism in children books taking away the innocence and fun nature to books? or any other opinions on relating topics!

Any ideas are gratefully received !
username2905900
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i think we should still read it but only for the historical context, due to the views that the century presented, and I believe why racism was accepted at the time because people, and most animals for that matter, tend to not accept change very well. For the most part, we seem to all get along despite what colour/ethnicity/religion is, it's all about adaptation. Sure there is still racism, but it's mostly focused in small pockets or practiced in silence. however back then it was an open thing,
p.s found some of the answer online needed bit of help with the adapting part
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilylashley)
Hey everyone, I'm currently completing my EPQ and need to find a wide variety of opinions on my topic I love reading and have decided to write an essay about the hidden racism in children Literature. I have already looked at authors like Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl, however would love to know of any more.

I would also love to hear your ideas on: Should we still read books written by Enid Blyton despite the racism nature to some of her stories such as the ******** in Toytown ?, Why racism in children books was accepted at the time? Is dicussing racism in children books taking away the innocence and fun nature to books? or any other opinions on relating topics!

You can find examples of imperialism and racism in most children's literature of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. For example, Harry Potter discusses the issue of race albeit from the perspective of wizards (i.e. pure blood, mudbloods etc.). However, Hugh Lofting's The Story of Doctor Dolittle(1920)is a good example as the plot has been changed over the years to remove racist elements (which is interesting in itself)!

In terms of your project, I would consider a couple of points:

- what is the purpose of children's literature - both when the books in question were written and now;
- remember the views of the writer are separate from their works;
- and, importantly, be critical of where this 'interest' in racism comes from and what it serves. Look at the example of Doctor Dolittle above. Purportedly liberal and progressive people are quite happy to remove racist elements from historical texts without realizing the authoritarian irony of their actions (i.e. rewriting history). The further down the rabbit hole you go with this issue the more you are likely to come back to what is the purpose of children's literature.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilylashley)

I would also love to hear your ideas on: Should we still read books written by Enid Blyton despite the racism nature to some of her stories such as the ******** in Toytown ?, Why racism in children books was accepted at the time? Is discussing racism in children books taking away the innocence and fun nature to books? or any other opinions on relating topics!

Some starting points on what to read up on:

- the birth of the children's novel (19th century)
- what does it "children's novel" entail and mean?
- what constitutes and racist in the time it was written, published and received
- the shifting attitudes of racism over the time from C19th to present day

Some children's novels include: Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn as well as Uncle Tom's Cabin portray racism. Have a start at those obvious ones.

Really interesting topic!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads