Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always seem to come across the debate over "soft" subjects.
    Which subjects would you consider to be weak?
    Would you judge somebody instantaneously over subject choice?

ReputationRep:
    I don't judge people based on what they take because 1) I don't care about their intelligence (or ability to pass an exam) and 2) I know even very intelligent people may pick what I consider to be "soft" subjects because they do not like/do not have the motivation for harder subjects or do not know that subjects are classed differently
    Even though I wouldn't judge someone for what they took, I do consider some subjects like business studies, english language, sociology to be "soft" but I don't think it's a bad idea to take them, I've taken subjects like that before and hope people don't judge me based on that. I also think subjects like drama, art, textiles are academically softer but are still very difficult and again I have taken subjects like that so wouldn't judge.

ReputationRep:
    no bc why are someone else's subject choices anything i need to worry about

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me when people say ICT is a soft subject. I agree it can be depending on what exam board you take. But my teacher says the coursework side of things is at degree level difficulty, so...

ReputationRep:
    'Soft' does not equal weak or invaluable, in my opinion. I study fine art and would consider that to be 'soft' in that it isn't particularly academic and (for me at least) it doesn't require a lot of effort. However, I'd never judge someone for choosing 'soft' subjects because 1, it's none of my business what other people study and 2, society needs a mixture of different expertise and talent in order to flourish and progress. STEM vs arts is a ridiculous and pointless debate IMHO, because one can't exist without the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ions)
    I don't judge people based on what they take because 1) I don't care about their intelligence (or ability to pass an exam) and 2) I know even very intelligent people may pick what I consider to be "soft" subjects because they do not like/do not have the motivation for harder subjects or do not know that subjects are classed differently
    Even though I wouldn't judge someone for what they took, I do consider some subjects like business studies, english language, sociology to be "soft" but I don't think it's a bad idea to take them, I've taken subjects like that before and hope people don't judge me based on that. I also think subjects like drama, art, textiles are academically softer but are still very difficult and again I have taken subjects like that so wouldn't judge.
    Anecdotally, I've found this. I've often been judged for taking Sociology, however I took it down to preference, not due to lack of ability, as I could've taken all STEM if I had pleased.

ReputationRep:
    Would never judge someone over their subjects lmao, only true autismo neckbeards do this
    Most of these people just parrot the same **** their out of touch dad says after hearing snippets of education news on the radio tbh
    But ngl, there are some dead end subjects out there, it probably doesn't matter so much as GCSE or A Level but taking one of them at University is a bad idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mnemosyne.)
    Anecdotally, I've found this. I've often been judged for taking Sociology, however I took it down to preference, not due to lack of ability, as I could've taken all STEM if I had pleased.
    That's a shame because sociology is actually interesting to a lot of people. I think it's unfair to be put off doing a subject that interests you because of its reputability.

ReputationRep:
    do universities who ask for 3 alevels or points offers give leeway to people who have done harder subjects?
    Most don't accept general studies.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.