Turn on thread page Beta

Do we really need an 11/11 silence? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that we should disrespect the dead or anything but what is a moment of a silence really going to do for the world? Is it going to make a difference?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No it won't make a difference. Nothing will actually make a difference to people who have died. A minutes silence is the way we have chosen to pay our respects to those who have died. While it may not mean anything to you it will mean something to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    No it won't make a difference. Nothing will actually make a difference to people who have died. A minutes silence is the way we have chosen to pay our respects to those who have died. While it may not mean anything to you it will mean something to other people.
    Lol why do a specific set of people need respect?
    We don't have a moment of silence for people who've died of cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGodofWorld)
    because they voluntarily put themselves in a position which they were aware was highly dangerous yet still did it.
    show some respect srsly.

ReputationRep:
    What are you trying to say here? That the men and women who risk their lives for our country and those who've lost their lives doing so, not to mention all the innocent civilians who have been killed, injured or displaced as a result of conflict, don't deserve any respect because it's 'unfair' to people who died in a different way? The whole point of the minute silence is so we can remember and think about the devastating consequences of war and take time to feel grateful to our soildiers that we don't have to go through that. They don't NEED respect, we GIVE them respect because they EARNED it. That's not to say others who suffer don't get respect, for example we have things like Macmillan cancer support that raise money to help those who suffer from cancer and also to those who are going to die from cancer or lost a loved one to it. It's not as if giving one group of people respect means taking it away from others, and it doesn't even cost anything to you so I don't understand why anyone would be against it. Sure, you might not agree with why those wars are being fought, but you can at least understand the bravery of those who go to fight in them. To complain about it being a waste of time is ignorant, selfish, and REALLY disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    because they voluntarily put themselves in a position which they were aware was highly dangerous yet still did it.
    show some respect srsly.
    Fair enough, I see what youre saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mnahel Saleem)
    What are you trying to say here? That the men and women who risk their lives for our country and those who've lost their lives doing so, not to mention all the innocent civilians who have been killed, injured or displaced as a result of conflict, don't deserve any respect because it's 'unfair' to people who died in a different way? The whole point of the minute silence is so we can remember and think about the devastating consequences of war and take time to feel grateful to our soildiers that we don't have to go through that. They don't NEED respect, we GIVE them respect because they EARNED it. That's not to say others who suffer don't get respect, for example we have things like Macmillan cancer support that raise money to help those who suffer from cancer and also to those who are going to die from cancer or lost a loved one to it. It's not as if giving one group of people respect means taking it away from others, and it doesn't even cost anything to you so I don't understand why anyone would be against it. Sure, you might not agree with why those wars are being fought, but you can at least understand the bravery of those who go to fight in them. To complain about it being a waste of time is ignorant, selfish, and REALLY disrespectful.
    All I said was a moment in silence is not making a difference, you clearly went off a tangent thinking im saying its a waste of time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    good for you for questioning things, i wouldn't have done these silent moments by myself nor would most people in my school have it not been for the school. but when im being asked, it's not going to take much effort so im not going to say no.

ReputationRep:
    All I said was a moment in silence is not making a difference, you clearly went off a tangent thinking im saying its a waste of time.
    thats not it, you're saying it won't make a difference which isn't true because having this silence in schools and expaining why it happens means young people learn and realise the consequences of war plus for families and friends of soilders or really anyone affected by war it can really mean a lot. and the comment on how 'we dont have a silence on people who died from cancer' was thoughtless, we do show respect to other people who suffer just in a different way. i dont think you said it was a waste of time, i just dont think you understand why its important to so many people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you genuinely not know why you should respect people that go to war or fight for the country? Can you genuinely not differentiate between people who die in the services vs people who die of cancer or any other illness/disease/accident, etc?

It's worth pointing out that these people don't need respect. In the same way you don't need your smartphone but do need oxygen, food, water and so on. There's no significant difference between giving people respect and not giving respect, nothing ultimately changes and therefore need is the wrong word.

We respect them because we want to (or at least we should want to as decent human beings). And because an established way of showing this respect is a minutes silence it appears to many people that not following the minute silence means you don't want to pay respect. Whether that is your intention or not doesn't matter. When a group of people want to do something a certain way and you go against that you are going against that group of people. When that group of people is the general population expect it to not go well.

That doesn't mean you should just lie down and blindly follow everything that is established. Ask questions and bring up alternatives. But focus on things that matter. As much as you can argue that the 1 minute silence means nothing you can also argue that you don't lose anything significant by going along with it. There's no tangible benefit to going against it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't put the paris flag as my dp on fb last year so no I won't keep quiet for a minute on 11/11

ReputationRep:
    this is a way to pay our respects to the dead and to thier family or friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Do you genuinely not know why you should respect people that go to war or fight for the country? Can you genuinely not differentiate between people who die in the services vs people who die of cancer or any other illness/disease/accident, etc?

It's worth pointing out that these people don't need respect. In the same way you don't need your smartphone but do need oxygen, food, water and so on. There's no significant difference between giving people respect and not giving respect, nothing ultimately changes and therefore need is the wrong word.

We respect them because we want to (or at least we should want to as decent human beings). And because an established way of showing this respect is a minutes silence it appears to many people that not following the minute silence means you don't want to pay respect. Whether that is your intention or not doesn't matter. When a group of people want to do something a certain way and you go against that you are going against that group of people. When that group of people is the general population expect it to not go well.

That doesn't mean you should just lie down and blindly follow everything that is established. Ask questions and bring up alternatives. But focus on things that matter. As much as you can argue that the 1 minute silence means nothing you can also argue that you don't lose anything significant by going along with it. There's no tangible benefit to going against it.
    Why notoput some effort into preventing wars rather than hail the uncessary deaths as heroism?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that we should disrespect the dead or anything but what is a moment of a silence really going to do for the world? Is it going to make a difference?
    Think of it as a way to not forget the horrors of war and vow to avoid it at almost all cost. Any life cut-short is a waste.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why notoput some effort into preventing wars rather than hail the uncessary deaths as heroism?
    Because unfortunately that's not how the world works. No matter how much effort you put into preventing future wars it's still important to remember the people that have died in previous conflicts.

You want to put more effort into preventing wars. This is good. You acknowledge the deaths are unnecessary. Therefore that's even more evidence that these people need to be remembered.

Remembering the dead and trying to stop more conflict are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. Or do you think it would be better if everyone who observes the minute silence instead comes up with ways to prevent more wars? Do you think that would be any more useful?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.