Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on a gap year after getting A*A*A* in biology, psychology and fine art. I've applied to study biology at Oxford next year because the course sounds amazing but I feel like I might be wasting my time as I'm competing with people that have perfect GCSEs and have studied all sciences at A-Level. If it makes any difference, I got an A* in my EPQ and did gold DofE lol

ReputationRep:
    Definitely got a chance... A levels matter more than GCSEs. If you wanna go to oxford you should definitely apply with those grades

ReputationRep:
    definitely apply as your A-level grades are exceptional and your extra curriculurs are decent and you've got the EPQ so you have demonstrated extra commitment outside your studies

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses Do you think I will be at a disadvantage for not having studied chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the entry requirements - which you do - then it would be worth your time applying. There's always going to be a risk, but there's still a high chance they'll make you an offer so you might as well put forward for it. Even if Chemistry did put you at a slight disadvantage in that aspect (and I wouldn't think it would), your EPQ and Duke of Edinburgh Gold would likely make up for that - and give you an advantage. Definitely apply for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaCx)
    Duke of Edinburgh Gold would likely make up for that - and give you an advantage
    Oxford only care about academic ability and potential. You were right to go for it - Oxbridge has a big problem with able candidates feeling that they don't have a chance, which they don't, if they don't apply!

Good luck! It's worth trying for.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.