Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of uni / accommodation issues dilemna watch

ReputationRep:
    ok so I've been doing my maths degree for about 6 weeks but am rather starting to regret my choice. the issue i have is that my accommodation contract states that if i leave the uni then i still have to pay my fees for the entire year and obviously your student finance goes if you quit so i dunno how I'd magic up another 3 grand out of nowhere I'm thinking of swapping to an essay subject like maybe psychology or law even but I'm not too sure ... what would you do in this situation ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    ok so I've been doing my maths degree for about 6 weeks but am rather starting to regret my choice. the issue i have is that my accommodation contract states that if i leave the uni then i still have to pay my fees for the entire year and obviously your student finance goes if you quit so i dunno how I'd magic up another 3 grand out of nowhere I'm thinking of swapping to an essay subject like maybe psychology or law even but I'm not too sure ... what would you do in this situation ?
    Go and speak to your personal tutor see what they advise.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Go to the SU. It doesnt sound liek you have read your contract correctly. the normal way round things is that you find a replacement and once they are in place they release you from any further obligation.

Is your accommodation Uni owned or private? Looks uni owned...
    They will have had this before so I wouldnt worry, its normally as above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Go to the SU. It doesnt sound liek you have read your contract correctly. the normal way round things is that you find a replacement and once they are in place they release you from any further obligation.

Is your accommodation Uni owned or private?
    it is owned by the uni and yh i guess if i found a replacement then i wouldn't have to pay but its rather late in the game now so i doubt anyone would wanna move halls this late ?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    it is owned by the uni and yh i guess if i found a replacement then i wouldn't have to pay but its rather late in the game now so i doubt anyone would wanna move halls this late ?
    The responsibility for the accommodation is yours. Talk to accommodation they might allow you to pay a penalty, bit normally they ask you to find a replacement. Perhaps talk to the relevant people and then try before thinking yourself into a hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The responsibility for the accommodation is yours. Talk to accommodation they might allow you to pay a penalty, bit normally they ask you to find a replacement. Perhaps talk to the relevant people and then try before thinking yourself into a hole.
    yh thanks for the advice ; hopefully ill start to find my course less intense and won't need to quit.. aha
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    yh thanks for the advice ; hopefully ill start to find my course less intense and won't need to quit.. aha
    Go and speak to people. No harm in finding out. I expect my version to be correct and people do find others, even at this late stage. There will be a flurry of activity soon as people swap uni accommodation trying to get away from places they dont like.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.