Turn on thread page Beta

Should I cut off contact with an online boy if I don't want to take it of watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been talking to a boy I met on an online chatroom for about 3 months now, we have each others numbers and for the past month text everyday. The conversations are very romantic, almost a fake relationship lol.

The problem is, we live in different parts of the country, and, I will never meet him, for a number of reasons (including I am extremely shy, have terrible social anxiety, not something I can conquer atm). I have been very clear about this to him, but he continues to talk to me.

He says he enjoys the conversations (as do I, I adore him), but I know deep down that really, he's hoping that eventually, I will change my mind and meet him. I can just tell he's waiting for this, as clear as I have been. I'm not looking for people to tell me to 'get over' the fear and try and progress things, because I'm afraid I just can't, not an option. Progressing beyond text will not happen.

My question is, should I cut things off now, early, completely, to not hurt him, cry for a while and move on? Or is it ok to keep talking when he knows my intentions? It really makes me happy to talk to him.

tl;dr: Pseudo-relationship with an online man over text, I will never meet him but he is hoping we will, one day, even though I told him. Shall I break things off, or keep going with it?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If it makes you happy to talk to him hen carry on. make it clearit will be strictly online and you do not wish to meet irl. If he accpets that you are ok to carry on, but if he cnat then you will call it a day. he cna make that choice and then if he does insist you can drop him for failing to stick to what you agreed. I'm not sure distance and being shy are insurmoutable reasons, but its your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, end it. If you keep it going, you're giving him hope that you might meet one day

ReputationRep:
    End it. He's gonna get the feeling you're catfishing him. I know I would.

Well, I would never get in to this situation. I would just offer to meet and, if I found out that was never an option, just assume that I was being catfished and end it there.

I just assume everyone online is a 21+ stone 50 year old living in their mother's basement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.