Turn on thread page Beta

At the moment I'm working as an (unqualified) primary school teacher in Berlin. The job can probably be described as my dream job, within a small school, with a great concept, amazing colleagues and great chances to advance.

However, my husband and I really don't like living in Berlin. The city is broke, the people are (mostly) hard to deal with and there are no good jobs around really. My husband has been looking for a good job for the last year without any luck. He is a native English speaker and there are not even any good TEFL jobs around because of the high number of English speakers.

So recently we thought about relocating again. We have both lived and worked in London before, but another option would be New York (my husband was born and raised there).

The main question I would like to ask you all now is.... what is more important in your opinion.... the location (which also means you will probably be happier, do more, etc) or the job (seeing as I am unqualified, I could work as a teaching assistant first in the UK and USA and then progress on a right pathway to become a qualified teacher in either country).

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in doing a job where you're unhappy living. Being unhappy = loss of productivity in the work place, feeling low and little aspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I could have got a job in Wales or something but that would be boring as hell, i'm holding out for London where I actually have some friends already etc

ReputationRep:
    for you location, but dont lower the standards on your job
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://www.nycteachingfellows.org/

Have you seen this? You don't have to be an assistant.

(Original post by more adventurous)
    http://www.nycteachingfellows.org/

Have you seen this? You don't have to be an assistant.
    I will check it out. What is it?

(Original post by supernova2)
    for you location, but dont lower the standards on your job
    I am not. I am currently employed as a teaching assistant, and paid as one, despite actually working as a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - but it's not just your job, it's your husbands. Neither of you is happy with the city, and only one of you is happy with the job. You could move, where both would be happy with the city, and (hopefully) both with the job. See:

(I was going to make a table of possibilites but I got bored.)

Basically - go!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by yourjoyismylow)
    I will check it out. What is it?
    It's like the GTP. You teach at a school (on a full teacher's salary) while getting your Master's the same time.

(Original post by more adventurous)
    It's like the GTP. You teach at a school (on a full teacher's salary) while getting your Master's the same time.
    Thanks for the link carefully now and I love it. I already registered too. Some rep for you!

ReputationRep:
    Career because you can always move elsewhere once you move up in your position!

But then there are bad sides...

Like how my dad moved to Canberra for his work and we kinda got stuck here... :rolleyes: But then I don't mind, my mother who I don't speak to anymore moved back to Melbourne so it doesn't really bother me either way. Plus Canb ain't bad.

I'm so excited, I just got told I could be moving to Perth next year to work!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.