Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do about my mental health? watch

I have anxiety and suffer with OCD and depression symptoms, as well as IBS and other physical symptoms. Initially my anxiety surrounded my IBS symptoms, I would feel physically ill so much that it made me anxious about going out, this then generalised to everything. Over the last year or so I have developed OCD mainly around germs. I've had symptoms of depression for years but it's just seemed to get worse more recently. I had a particularly bad bout of depression recently, thankfully it ended. I changed my diet, got some vitamins (that the doctor told me to have) and I was feeling better and happier and then something went wrong, my IBS symptoms came back and with it I feel more tired and my mental health is suffering. I used to be able to feel the difference when I became anxious but for so long I have been anxious all of the time that it is difficult to know. I'm on edge and I get stresssed easily about little things. I also find it difficult to get to sleep, sometimes wake up in the night, almost half asleep sometimes, I can sleep for ages or average hours but I still feel tired. It's frustrating, especially because I've had times of feeling better lately. I have had CBT before, sometimes things just click and I feel better for a while. I tried to go back to CBT again but I have been on the waiting list for so long. Part of me is considering medication because I'm just so fed up of keep dipping into mental illness. I know that exercise and yoga can help but I think due to the depression behaviours I just can't be bothered... Sorry this is so long, thank you for reading and any replies.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have anxiety and suffer with OCD and depression symptoms, as well as IBS and other physical symptoms. Initially my anxiety surrounded my IBS symptoms, I would feel physically ill so much that it made me anxious about going out, this then generalised to everything. Over the last year or so I have developed OCD mainly around germs. I've had symptoms of depression for years but it's just seemed to get worse more recently. I had a particularly bad bout of depression recently, thankfully it ended. I changed my diet, got some vitamins (that the doctor told me to have) and I was feeling better and happier and then something went wrong, my IBS symptoms came back and with it I feel more tired and my mental health is suffering. I used to be able to feel the difference when I became anxious but for so long I have been anxious all of the time that it is difficult to know. I'm on edge and I get stresssed easily about little things. I also find it difficult to get to sleep, sometimes wake up in the night, almost half asleep sometimes, I can sleep for ages or average hours but I still feel tired. It's frustrating, especially because I've had times of feeling better lately. I have had CBT before, sometimes things just click and I feel better for a while. I tried to go back to CBT again but I have been on the waiting list for so long. Part of me is considering medication because I'm just so fed up of keep dipping into mental illness. I know that exercise and yoga can help but I think due to the depression behaviours I just can't be bothered... Sorry this is so long, thank you for reading and any replies.
    Struggling to read it a bit but sorry things are so bad for you at the minute. I can definitely relate to IBS causing anxiety and I can imagine it affecting OCD a lot too if it's around germs and things. Have you spoken to your GP about what's been going on? They might have some suggestions, especially around motivation and things. Medication can help a huge amount but that's something you need to discuss with them too really. I'm assuming you're doing sleep hygeine stuff too, like no screens before bed etc? If not that's worth looking into too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.