Turn on thread page Beta

Apparanty the answer to this is 23/6 I'm not sure how as I done something different ?

(Original post by JackT2000)
    Apparanty the answer to this is 23/6 I'm not sure how as I done something different ?
    Here's the question

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  392.8 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Here's the question
    Your answer is exactly the same except you expressed it in a mixed fraction form. Simply simplify your answer as a single fraction.

(Original post by RDKGames)
    Your answer is exactly the same except you expressed it in a mixed fraction form. Simply simplify your answer as a single fraction.
    But it is s top heavy fraction aren't you always supposed to convert it to a mixed fraction?

Its the same answer as said above ^, 23/6 is achieved by dividing 115/30 by 5. You just turned it back into a mixed fraction so its not top heavy.

If that was in an exam would I get full marks for writing it as a mixed number instead of just simplifying?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But it is s top heavy fraction aren't you always supposed to convert it to a mixed fraction?
    Not unless you're asked to. Either form works in my opinion but I'd prefer to have it in the improper fraction form.

Not unless you're asked to. Either form works in my opinion but I'd prefer to have it in the improper fraction form.
    Would I lose marks for giving my final answer in mixed form?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I doubt it. If the question doesn't specify which form to leave your answer in then you should good with either.

ReputationRep:
    No (unless told to give in a specific form), but often it is helpful to have the answer in improper form to use later

(Original post by an_atheist)
    No (unless told to give in a specific form), but often it is helpful to have the answer in improper form to use later
    So just to clarify is my answer to the question above correct as the question doesn't ask to give my final answer in mixed number ?

ReputationRep:
    So just to clarify is my answer to the question above correct as the question doesn't ask to give my final answer in mixed number ?
    Yes, the values are the same, but yours is nominally incorrect because its not in simplest terms which is what will be asked for in the exams.

(Original post by an_atheist)
    Yes, the values are the same, but yours is nominally incorrect because its not in simplest terms which is what will be asked for in the exams.
    Ok thanks I was just curious as I have my first mock tomorrow and it's non calculator

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.