Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of going to imperial university to study aeronautical engineering with a year abroad, however i would like to know what life is like during your years at university. For example, how stressful can it be and importantly, what's it like spending a year abroad.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done the year abroad option, but I can tell you what life at Imperial is like

I love it at Imperial. I think my course (Biology) has a really good work-life balance. We have to work hard, but as long as I don't procrastinate too much I have always had some free time to myself each day. I have met some wonderful people at Imperial and I'm going to be really sad when I graduate (hopefully!). You're never going to be bored either because you're in the middle of London with loads of free things to do just a few minutes walk away and Imperial has loads of societies (one of my friends is sky-diving as I type this!).

However, it can be stressful, especially around exam time. They try not to overload us with work on my course and so we don't usually get two pieces of coursework at once, but some of the coursework is difficult and it can take up a lot of time just working out what they want us to do! My classes have all set up Facebook group chats so we can try to help each other out though (you feel better when you know you aren't the only one struggling!).

Imperial is what you make of it though. Because it only offers STEM subjects you tend to get quieter people going there so you have to make more of an effort to make friends. There's a huge mix of people there so there will be a group of people who like the things you do, you just have to make the effort to find them.

Good luck! Please feel free to ask me anything else you would like to know about Imperial

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.