The Student Room Group

Anyone studying A2-level Edexcel Biology A Salters Nuffield??

Scroll to see replies

DSC_6777.jpgHi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question? The answers say it's 8/4 which is 2. I'm not too sure why though.
Reply 181
Original post by SquishyFishy
DSC_6777.jpgHi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question? The answers say it's 8/4 which is 2. I'm not too sure why though.

Q10 is the rate of change (of a biological or chemical system) that accompanies a 10degreesC change.
Between 20 and 30 degrees, the rate of photosynthesis changes from 4 to 8
8/4 is 2 (rate has doubled)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SquishyFishy

Sure!

Its all about the Q10 equation.

The equation is:

Q10= Rate of reaction at temperature T +10C/ Rate of reaction at temperature T

The question asks for Q10 between 20C and 30C, so temperature T is 20C, and temperature T +10C is obviously 30.

So, look for the rates of reaction at those temperatures. In this case,

For T+10, the rate is 8

For T, the rate is 4

Input those values into our equation, and we get:

Q10 = 8/4

= 2

Hope that helps!
Original post by ts.150
😂 same, I keep getting worried about whether I know everything
I remember the AS paper last year - there was a 6 marker on genetic variation (by crossovers on chromosomes). I hate when they base big questions on the small parts of the course you don't learn much about ☹️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't sit the AS qualification last year. What grade did you achieve for AS? (If you don't mind me asking...)
Bio 1.jpg

Guys, I also have a few questions from the Specimen papers to address.

For the first question, I calculated the percentage change and it was 25%/ But there is no option for 25% on the options. Is this an error or have I misunderstood the question?
bio 2.jpg
Attachment not found

Additionally, I am struggling to understand this question. I thought you had to work out the gradient in order to obtain the answer. However, the markscheme states that my answer is incorrect?

How would I do this question?:s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
bio 4.jpg
Attachment not found

I also have a problem with this question? Could someone help me? How do I calculate the magnification in this case? (I don't understand the working out....)
bio 6.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

As you can see, I have difficulties with these analytical questions? Can someone explain to me why the sea level affect the distribution of the algae. And how to I relate the graph to this question?
Finally, is this question another error. I calculated the efficiency and got value of 16.6% (something like that), so I rounded it to 17%. However, the question states that the answer is 16%.
bio 9.jpg
Original post by Whoeverelse
Sure!

Its all about the Q10 equation.

The equation is:

Q10= Rate of reaction at temperature T +10C/ Rate of reaction at temperature T

The question asks for Q10 between 20C and 30C, so temperature T is 20C, and temperature T +10C is obviously 30.

So, look for the rates of reaction at those temperatures. In this case,

For T+10, the rate is 8

For T, the rate is 4

Input those values into our equation, and we get:

Q10 = 8/4

= 2

Hope that helps!

Oh!!! Thanks so much guys. What I was doing, because I've done this question before but still didn't understand it, I thought T+10=40. I didn't really realise. I know that's really silly. We haven't actually been taught in in class. So that's why I didn't understand. I didn't make the connection. Thanks so much though. :smile::smile:
@greentron6 have you pretty much posted the whole specimen paper onto this thread? :tongue:
The AS papers were really good guys...easy this year (I feel)! :smile:

Good luck!!!
Original post by Philip-flop
@greentron6 have you pretty much posted the whole specimen paper onto this thread? :tongue:

Pretty much...:biggrin:
Original post by greentron6
Bio 1.jpg

For the first question, I calculated the percentage change and it was 25%/ But there is no option for 25% on the options. Is this an error or have I misunderstood the question?

Yes this is very strange? It seems like the answer is 25%, I can't see how it can be anything else? Although I don't remember seeing any of these questions you have posted being in the specimen paper I completed, maybe I have done the wrong ones I'm not sure🤔
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by COCO16382
Yes this is very strange? It seems like the answer is 25%, I can't see how it can be anything else? Although I don't remember seeing any of these questions you have posted being in the specimen paper I completed, maybe I have done the wrong ones I'm not sure🤔

I think this was a badly drawn graph - it looks like it should be 25% but actually it's 27%. I think you just had to look for the answer closest to 25%
Biology 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bio 1.jpg

My class had an issue with this question, my teacher even tried to do it but she couldn't. I think I got 27% just because I rounded up.
I knew that question was a bit funny. Thank you everyone for the help. Is it possible to help me with the other questions?
Finally found this thread !How is everyone preparing for next week !
Reply 198
I knew that question was a bit funny. Thank you everyone for the help. Is it possible to help me with the other questions?

I'm always up for a bit of practice so yeah 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Original post by bobby147
Finally found this thread !How is everyone preparing for next week !

1) flash cards on topics 1-6
2) recorded myself saying all the content from 1-6
3) past papers from old spec
4) specimen paper 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending