The Student Room Group

Anyone studying A2-level Edexcel Biology A Salters Nuffield??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobby147
How would you link GMOs to rates ??
For GMOs I was thinking more along the lines of describe ho you would genetically modify a plant,or bacteria or animal.
For the brain,I bet we will have one of the scanning techniques MRI,fMRI,CT and PET.
I would bet money on PET,since it is new spec.
Spirometer may not come up since it was mentioned in paper 2.
We have not done much on the heart so far ,I can easily see combination of what we learned about the heart from AS and A2 being on the paper,along with a few graphs.

Yes I bet PET scans will come up too. Which is typical because it's the one I know least about. Besides the fact that it gives images of the brain in real time and it uses a radioactive tracer I'm not actually too sure how it works! How does the radioactive tracer being absorbed in the tissues of the body build up a picture of the structure and function of the brain in real time? :frown:
Original post by Philip-flop
Depressors are to do with muscles that contract to pull down part of the body such as the diaphragm to help increase the volume of air to the lungs.
Repressors are to do with slowing down the rate of transcription.

- At normal temperatures the thyroid hormone receptor acts a repressor so decreases the rate of transcription for the protein that can raise metabolic rate.
-At colder temperatures thyroxine binds to the thyroid hormone receptor, together this complex causes it to act as an activator which increases/promotes the rate of transcription for the protein that raises metabolic rate thus increasing the temperature of the body.

@bobby147 also you may have written in the part where you quoted me. Check the blue box in your comment above (1180). Half way through the quote you wrote in there by mistake "oh yeah,maybe thats why you use alcohol !I should of thought that thanks." Should probably edit that :tongue:

Oh ,I had no idea there were depressor muscles.My notes puts inhibitors/depressors decrease the rate of transcription,fair enough.
I still think my explanation stands.If you are slowing down the rate of transcription,you are still making proteins,so it will bind to the promoter region.
If no protein is made at all,then the transcription factor will bind to the operator region.
Edit:This seems to be getting a bit complicated.The internet maintains transcription factors can bind to the operator while the book doesnt.I guess this is another thing we are taught swishy swashy at A level.
I think we should just say operator for lac repressor,promoter for everything else.I blame Edexcel for being crap at explaining this.
Ok,I will edit :h:.
Yes I bet PET scans will come up too. Which is typical because it's the one I know least about. Besides the fact that it gives images of the brain in real time and it uses a radioactive tracer I'm not actually too sure how it works! How does the radioactive tracer being absorbed in the tissues of the body build up a picture of the structure and function of the brain in real time? :frown:

Radiotracers emit positrons,which is antimatter counterpart to the electron.
When a positron collides with an electron,it prroduces gamma rays which is picked up by the detector and is displayed on a computer.It the more look like this

What you see in a PET scan is NOT the radiotracer ,it is rather the gamma radiation produced by positrons and electrons colliding.
The more active the area of the brain,the more blood flow and so more radiotracer will build up in that area.Hence more gamma radiation will be emitted from that area,so the active areas of the brain will be the brightest.
These are my teacher notes for PET.You may not or need to know this to this level of detail,but thats irrelevant.I am just putting this up so others can have a look,I am not claiming this is what you need to know.

Positron emission tomography scans (PET) are used to produce detailed three dimensional images and can be used to determine structure and function.

PET uses isotopes with short half lives such as C-11,N-13 or O-15 which are incorporated into compounds such as glucose or water or into molecules that bind to receptors.The labelled molecules are called radiotracers and these are injected into the blood.

As the radiotracer decays it emits positrons.When a positron collides with an electron it emits two gamma rays which are picked up by detectors and converted into a signal which is then displayed on a computer.

The more active the area of the brain,the more blood flows and so the more radiotracer will build up in the area.

The most common radiotracer is called FDG which is similar to glucose and is metabolised in a similar way.

It is useful for detecting cancer as these cells use glucose at a much faster rate.
Limitations of PET scans
Use of a radiotracer increases the risk of cancer due to the radiation used.Can only be performed once or twice a year.
Is very expensive.
Oh ,I had no idea there were depressor muscles.My notes puts inhibitors/depressors decrease the rate of transcription,fair enough.
I still think my explanation stands.If you are slowing down the rate of transcription,you are still making proteins,so it will bind to the promoter region.
If no protein is made at all,then the transcription factor will bind to the operator region.
Edit:This seems to be getting a bit complicated.The internet maintains transcription factors can bind to the operator while the book doesnt.I guess this is another thing we are taught swishy swashy at A level.
I think we should just say operator for lac repressor,promoter for everything else.I blame Edexcel for being crap at explaining this.
Ok,I will edit :h:.

Yes if a question mentions anything about bacteria (E.coli), β \beta - galactosidase, or lactose then you know you will have to mention the lac-operon model and how the operator region (as well as the promoter region) works.

For Eukaryotes I think we should stick to only mentioning the promoter region just to be safe.

Exactly! If a repressor/inhibitor binds to the DNA (at the promoter region) then the rate of transcription is decreased, but there are still proteins being made just as a slower rate (not as much is being produced).

Radiotracers emit positrons,which is antimatter counterpart to the electron.
When a positron collides with an electron,it prroduces gamma rays which is picked up by the detector and is displayed on a computer.It the more look like this

What you see in a PET scan is NOT the radiotracer ,it is rather the gamma radiation produced by positrons and electrons colliding.
The more active the area of the brain,the more blood flow and so more radiotracer will build up in that area.Hence more gamma radiation will be emitted from that area,so the active areas of the brain will be the brightest.

Amazing!! That has cleared up so much!! Any chance you're hoping to study Radiography at University? :tongue:

@bobby147 did your teacher give you any other notes about the types of brain scans?
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes if a question mentions anything about bacteria (E.coli), β \beta - galactosidase, or lactose then you know you will have to mention the lac-operon model and how the operator region (as well as the promoter region) works.

For Eukaryotes I think we should stick to only mentioning the promoter region just to be safe.

Exactly! If a repressor/inhibitor binds to the DNA (at the promoter region) then the rate of transcription is decreased, but there are still proteins being made just as a slower rate (not as much is being produced).

Amazing!! That has cleared up so much!! Any chance you're hoping to study Radiography at University? :tongue:

Haha you have a lotttt of knowledge bobby, I thought for eukaryotes there wasn't a promoter or operator site, I thought RNA polymerase just binds to a start codon/start of a gene. Is this incorrect?
Out of interest, what marks have people been getting in Specimen Paper 3?

I got 65%, marked fairly harshly

No,I am going to study biomedical science,although i am thinking of changing that to bioengineering.

The thing is,with lac repressor,no proteins are made at all and the internet says repressors bind to operators, but Ill just stick to the rule.I think this is a example of what you learn at A level contradicting the actual subject.
Repressors can bind to operators anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Whoeverelse
Out of interest, what marks have people been getting in Specimen Paper 3?

I got 65%, marked fairly harshly

67% here :/ which for all we know be an A
Original post by Kraytz
67% here :/ which for all we know be an A

Right. My hopes for an A* are long gone
Original post by COCO16382
Haha you have a lotttt of knowledge bobby, I thought for eukaryotes there wasn't a promoter or operator site, I thought RNA polymerase just binds to a start codon/start of a gene. Is this incorrect?

Eukaryotes do have a promoter and operator site.
Promoter is just a fancy word for where transcription factors bind to near the start of the gene they target.
Operator is just the word for where repressors bind to regulate gene expression by
supressing it.
RNA polymerase binds to the promoter region which is near the start of the gene.
Your are right with the start of the gene ,by mentioning promoter region,you are just being specific by mentioning where it takes place.
What are people doing to revise? Specimen papers, learning practicals and EMPAs maybe? The fact that the whole spec is being tested is so unfair
help.. what practicals are most likely to come up? how did everyone find the past 2 papers
Eukaryotes do have a promoter and operator site.
Promoter is just a fancy word for where transcription factors bind to near the start of the gene they target.
Operator is just the word for where repressors bind to regulate gene expression by
supressing it.
RNA polymerase binds to the promoter region which is near the start of the gene.
Your are right with the start of the gene ,by mentioning promoter region,you are just being specific by mentioning where it takes place.

just to clarify for everyone promoter region is for eukaryotes and operator is for prokaryotes
Original post by Kraytz
What are people doing to revise? Specimen papers, learning practicals and EMPAs maybe? The fact that the whole spec is being tested is so unfair

I am just learning my notes and practicals.
Making sure i can do the calculations and convert units .
For me,i would have done better in the two papers if I just did more notes rather than past papers.
Original post by tangled23
just to clarify for everyone promoter region is for eukaryotes and operator is for prokaryotes

The thing is ,some Eukaryotes such as the nemotode worm and fruit fly DO HAVE operons,and also operators.
But for Edexcel A level,we will just leave it at this.
I guess thats the problem with biology ,there is always an exception to the rule.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok guys.Paper 3 on Monday.
Paper 1 was fine but Paper 2 was tough.Lets pull through and smash this Paper 3 since its 40 percent of our A level.
Ill be on this thread most of the time or on the chemistry thread.I will also be up here very late.
Lets help each other and do this :smile:!!

40%??? is it more than paper 1 and 2? i thought it was 33%
Original post by genie2303
40%??? is it more than paper 1 and 2? i thought it was 33%

Paper 1 and 2 are each 30 percent.
Paper 3 is 40 percent.
Edit:I am wrong and your right.They are all 33 percent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tangled23

You know what ,I apologise since I guess i am overcomplicating it for everyone.
Ignore what I said ,everyone just stick to tangled23 and Philip flop rule .
paper_3.jpeg
Each are equally weighted at 1/3 of the total marks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending