Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new and I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, but here goes.

So basically I'm in year 11 and thinking about A level choices. I've pretty much decided that I want to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German. In the future, I probably want to do something to do with chemistry or biology and I might also consider medicine.

The problem is that my dad is absolutely furious that I don't want to take Further Maths (he's a professor who teaches statistics). While I find maths useful and am quite good at it, I really don't have too much interest in it and would be unhappy to spend half my time studying it at A level.

Despite my attempts to be sensible, we usually literally end up shouting often over dinner. I've tried to show him why I don't want to do it and why it probably won't be that useful to me but he doesn't listen. He also thinks its a terrible idea to do German at Alevel and wants me not to do it, even though I really enjoy German and find it quite interesting and a light subject.

Sorry for the long post, but basically does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I have considered taking further maths as a fifth A level which I would drop at any sign of trouble and after year 12, but even thats not enough for my Dad 😠😟. Would this be a good idea?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's your life, your choice.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I think but how can I get my Dad to respect that?

ReputationRep:
    I studied further maths at A level and continued with a degree in engineering, but unless you plan on studying engineering or maths at University I think further maths is a hard a level which isn't going to be carried forward. A levels maths is plenty to gain the analytical and problem solving skills for most degrees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invisiblebird)
    That's what I think but how can I get my Dad to respect that?
    do you really want him to potentially ruin your academic life -- i think you would prefer that you only have yourself to blame than blame him for the rest of your life

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to do it don't. You will not enjoy it. However I am doing M and FM at a2 and i find this year a lot easier than last because there is a lot of overlap. Do what you enjoy but if do better in a lot better in maths than do maths just because you will be able to sustain it better. My mum said i was too dumb to do 4 facilitating subjects and I did well at AS so sometimes parents judgement is wrong.

ReputationRep:

So basically I'm in year 11 and thinking about A level choices. I've pretty much decided that I want to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German. In the future, I probably want to do something to do with chemistry or biology and I might also consider medicine.

The problem is that my dad is absolutely furious that I don't want to take Further Maths (he's a professor who teaches statistics). While I find maths useful and am quite good at it, I really don't have too much interest in it and would be unhappy to spend half my time studying it at A level.

Despite my attempts to be sensible, we usually literally end up shouting often over dinner. I've tried to show him why I don't want to do it and why it probably won't be that useful to me but he doesn't listen. He also thinks its a terrible idea to do German at Alevel and wants me not to do it, even though I really enjoy German and find it quite interesting and a light subject.

Sorry for the long post, but basically does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I have considered taking further maths as a fifth A level which I would drop at any sign of trouble and after year 12, but even thats not enough for my Dad 😠😟. Would this be a good idea?
    German is a good A level to take - Germany is still the power house of Europe and despite brexit you would be able to work there.

If you don't plan on studying Maths at university then don't take further maths - it is your life.

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on doing further maths and having 4 A Levels but have now dropped to do just further maths AS Level. I do german as well because it is a lighter subject but also facilitating and it shows i have a wider range of skills.
    The other thing with further maths is that it is a lot of work throughout the two years. You'll have lots of interviews and exams to give for medicine as well which won't make life any easier. Also, some universities might not accept it at A Level because of the way you do your course especially if you did your maths A Level early - they'll end up not counting maths in your offer or something (I dont know details its really confusing)
    But at the end of the day only do further maths if you a) really like maths b) really need maths for your potential degree

ReputationRep:

Your father could be a great help.
    Take Further Maths as a 5th AS level?
    Does German relate to what you want to do in the future? - Medicine

Chemistry is very heavy on maths so doing 2 lots of lessons for maths would make it less difficult.

Maths and FM is no way near the workload of two different subjects

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Thanks everyone who replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verish)
    I was planning on doing further maths and having 4 A Levels but have now dropped to do just further maths AS Level. I do german as well because it is a lighter subject but also facilitating and it shows i have a wider range of skills.
    The other thing with further maths is that it is a lot of work throughout the two years. You'll have lots of interviews and exams to give for medicine as well which won't make life any easier. Also, some universities might not accept it at A Level because of the way you do your course especially if you did your maths A Level early - they'll end up not counting maths in your offer or something (I dont know details its really confusing)
    But at the end of the day only do further maths if you a) really like maths b) really need maths for your potential degree
    Thanks for this, I really didn't know that some universities might not accept further maths. How is German at A level? Is it really as big a jump as everybody's telling me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    Your father could be a great help.
    Take Further Maths as a 5th AS level?
    Does German relate to what you want to do in the future? - Medicine

Chemistry is very heavy on maths so doing 2 lots of lessons for maths would make it less difficult.

Maths and FM is no way near the workload of two different subjects

Thank you, I thnik you have a point about chemistry. Just wondering, why do you find that maths and furthermaths have much less workload than two different subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathcoachni)
    I studied further maths at A level and continued with a degree in engineering, but unless you plan on studying engineering or maths at University I think further maths is a hard a level which isn't going to be carried forward. A levels maths is plenty to gain the analytical and problem solving skills for most degrees!
    Thanks, I think I've ruled out engineering anyway by not taking physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpme:))
    If you don't want to do it don't. You will not enjoy it. However I am doing M and FM at a2 and i find this year a lot easier than last because there is a lot of overlap. Do what you enjoy but if do better in a lot better in maths than do maths just because you will be able to sustain it better. My mum said i was too dumb to do 4 facilitating subjects and I did well at AS so sometimes parents judgement is wrong.
    Congratulations on doing well despite your mum's expectations!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I thnik you have a point about chemistry. Just wondering, why do you find that maths and furthermaths have much less workload than two different subjects?
    Hence the username.
    No I'm such a lazy and stupid person.

I want to do Additional FM currently but apparently it's too much workload for 'me'

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccommend against doing Further maths if you want to do medicine or chemistry, I mean it'd help but unless you want to go into Chemical engineering (you don't need physics for this area) then it's not really useful for them. My teacher said to someone who is planning to study medicine that German is a good subject as it is challenging and it's useful in terms of a future career.

ReputationRep:

FM is generally conditional for uni's i.e they generally don't ask for it unless you're applying for top notch unis and most other unis who do accept it just say if you take FM then we'll reduce the requirements by xxx

Still both give good profession, stats has many opportunities, just like german, you can do plenty of translating, in games or wherever it may be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    FM is generally conditional for uni's i.e they generally don't ask for it unless you're applying for top notch unis and most other unis who do accept it just say if you take FM then we'll reduce the requirements by xxx

Still both give good profession, stats has many opportunities, just like german, you can do plenty of translating, in games or wherever it may be
    Wow, thanks for the information, I didn't know anything like that happened

ReputationRep:
    Only do it if you really love Maths, not because of what someone thinks would be good for you.
    Think about it - you'd be doing around 10 hours a week just having Maths lessons, and perhaps 5 doing homework /extra practice (?) so you would average around 15 hours a week of just Maths alone. Combine this with your other subjects and ask yourself if this is something that you'd want to go through.

For me, I love Maths, so I really liked the idea of doing this much Maths a week, but if you don't really like Maths it will make your weeks feel like Hell.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for the information, I didn't know anything like that happened
    For example Leeds is a popular university(must get an A in maths of course )
    A standard offer for maths is AAA

if you have done an AS in FM aswell as Maths the offer is then AAB

if you have done an A level in FM aswell as Maths the offer is then ABB

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.